Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using time capsule as network extender kills network

I have a number of Airport Express components with that I've accumulated over a few years that are running on Firmware 7.6.4

I recently purchased a Time Capsule, its running 7.7.3.

The network topology is

Airport Extreme in bridge mode attached to ADSL router via a switch.

Two other Airport Express units on the same network.

This all works fine.

When I extend the network with the Time Capsule, this causes clients to no longer be able to connect to the network when they are in close range of the Time Capsule, and frequent drop outs elsewhere on the network. As a result, the only way I can get Wifi access is to disable the network on the Time Capsule and use it on an ethernet connection.

In the past I had a similar problem and solved it, apparently at least in part, by downgrading the old Time Capsule to 7.6.4 but this no longer seems possible as there is only the option of 'other' when looking for different firmware versions. I'm not sure thats the right fix in any case.

Any ideas why this new Time Capsule is incompatible with the other devices? I don't have many setup options that I could have got wrong, it

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:03 AM

5 replies

Jul 1, 2015 3:41 PM in response to free1000

When I extend the network with the Time Capsule,

Spell out what you mean here..

Do you mean you use the TC without ethernet connection and extend from one of the Express units?

Or do you run it with ethernet connected to the switch but still try to extend.. which you MUST NEVER DO.

You cannot extend while connected by ethernet as that creates a loop.

Jul 1, 2015 3:47 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yes I used the TC correctly. No ethernet connection when attempting to extend from the Airport Extreme.

However in order to access the TC backup capability without disabling the rest of the network I have switched off the wifi networking on the TC and just connected it to the local hub with ethernet. So now its basically just behaving as an expensive networked hard drive.

Jul 1, 2015 4:10 PM in response to free1000

Yes I used the TC correctly. No ethernet connection when attempting to extend from the Airport Extreme.

Sorry I am getting confused. The first post had no extreme listed.

I can see this setup works according to your first post.

The network topology is

Airport Extreme in bridge mode attached to ADSL router via a switch.

Two other Airport Express units on the same network. This all works fine.

When you say .. This all works fine... I presume you mean including backup.

If not can you tell me what is wrong with the setup that you need to change it.

Give me a couple of screenshots from your airport utility showing me the overall layout that works.. and what you are trying to achieve that doesn't work.

One thing to note.. Apple did say TM doesn't work unless the computer backing up is directly connected to the TC. Either to its wireless or by ethernet.. I think this has to do with domain settings in the main router.. but it might be fixed in the 10.10.4.. we shall see.

Jul 1, 2015 4:12 PM in response to LaPastenague

It all works fine so long as the TC is not turned on. In that case the TC is just a big paperweight no?

Adding the TC causes dropouts and a loss of connectivity within range of the TC.

As I was hoping to use the TC as a wirelessly connected device and to extend the network, I hope you will agree that this is not a very satisfactory result.

Jul 1, 2015 5:09 PM in response to free1000

The TC was always designed to work as a main router.. (or the extreme).. the express are designed to work as extenders.. when you upset the natural order then it can easily mess up.

However I have made the TC work in just about any setup.. The trick is .. manual setup.. do not allow airport utility to dictate the setup.. YOU are the MASTER.. YOU CONTROL the network.

Here is how.

1. On the MASTER wireless device.. use short names for wireless, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

2. Passwords the same but can be longer.. mixed case and numbers.. nothing else.

3. Different wireless name for 5ghz.. so you can force the connections to other band.

4. Fixed wireless channels so they don't go and rotate on you.

5. Setup the TC to 5ghz if possible.. it is much better than using 2.4ghz.. but you are taking an expensive device and changing it to an express .. that is a poor use of the expensive unit.

6. If you run into trouble find out why using the wireless diagnostics in the computer. You can also use the older airport utility even in windows to discover the exact connection speeds. This helps because wireless links by their nature are fragile.

So here is my old setup in 5.6 utility.

User uploaded file

Centre unit is the main wireless router.. the two either side are extending wireless.. by tracking actual wireless signal levels you can do this pretty well.

And by removing everything that says auto.. you can make it fairly stable.. at least as well as wireless ever gets.

Using time capsule as network extender kills network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.