Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 Opens Black Screen

So I finally successfully updated to the new version of iTunes on my mac. One problem though... when I open it, it automatically opens up full screen, and it's totally black. Nothing works. You can't click on anything or see anything. I have to force close it to get it to turn off. I've restarted my computer and it keeps happening. iTunes just shows up black. That's it. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: The weird thing is, if I right click the icon, I can click "play" and sure enough, music starts playing. So I know it works. But I can't exit full screen using the typical keyboard command. It's just all straight up black.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:05 PM

I have the same problem. I cured it (at least for now) by force quitting iTunes, option-clicking on iTunes to start it and created a new library. The new library opened fine full screen. I then got out of full screen mode, closed iTunes, and option-clicked again to open, this time opening my real library and it opened fine. It can be made full screen again with only one problem: for some reason I still can not open my library with iTunes in full screen mode, so I have to send it to windowed mode before closing otherwise I have to repeat the above steps.

Not a cure, I know, but at least a band-aid to keep it running for now.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 4:05 PM in response to Breadman86

I have the same problem. I cured it (at least for now) by force quitting iTunes, option-clicking on iTunes to start it and created a new library. The new library opened fine full screen. I then got out of full screen mode, closed iTunes, and option-clicked again to open, this time opening my real library and it opened fine. It can be made full screen again with only one problem: for some reason I still can not open my library with iTunes in full screen mode, so I have to send it to windowed mode before closing otherwise I have to repeat the above steps.

Not a cure, I know, but at least a band-aid to keep it running for now.

Jul 2, 2015 2:11 AM in response to Starfury42

There has to be something wrong with our library. I did almost the same as Starfury. But in my case I solved the full screen problem as well.

I also started iTunes with option-click and created a new library. There the full screen mode works. Somehow iTunes started to import all my music and playlists from my old library. So just create a new library.

Jul 6, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Breadman86

Creating a new library works, but yes only until you go full-screen again. I found extra steps to fix it. In regular non-full-screen view (of your preferred library), assign the window to a desktop. First open mission control and add a desktop. Then right-click iTunes icon in dock, select Options>Assign to this desktop. (or what I did was drag the iTunes window to Desktop 2 first). Now iTunes will go into full-screen mode, quit, and then return as normal.

Jul 6, 2015 8:15 PM in response to mklovessf

I found an alternative for those that do not want to create a new library:

- Launch iTunes -> it goes to black screen

- Hit the Launchpad key (F4)

- Tap the iTunes icon in Launchpad (not from the dock)

- iTunes appears!

- From the iTunes View menu select Exit Full Screen

- Quit iTunes

The next time you launch iTunes, either from the Dock or Launchpad, it will open in non-full screen mode. Just remember to exit full screen mode before quitting. Otherwise you'll need to repeat the above procedure.

Jul 10, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Breadman86

I had the same problem, and just played around and found this might be a simple solution. Take it for what it is worth.

I open iTunes, and I get the blank screen. Go back to the desktop. I control click iTunes in the dock. Play a song. I am running OS 10.10.4, and going to the notifications section click on the song that is playing. While in desktop mode, the menu bar at the top switched to the iTunes menu. Go to iTunes > Preferences (you may be able to bypass the entire control click process by using the short cut [Command-,] I did not try this). Once preferences opens, then the iTunes window will magically appear. If the box that says "Show Apple Music" is not checked, then check it. For some reason if that box is not checked, then it will not connect to the Cloud. That is why it gets caught in that loop and the magical pinwheel appears.

I have not retried it by unchecking the "Show Apple Music" box.

Good luck. I hope Apple fixes this bug soon.

Jul 10, 2015 8:19 AM in response to leftyinthepen

I had the same problem, and just played around and found this might be a simple solution. Take it for what it is worth.

I open iTunes, and I get the blank screen. Go back to the desktop. I control click iTunes in the dock. Play a song. I am running OS 10.10.4, and going to the notifications section click on the song that is playing. While in desktop mode, the menu bar at the top switched to the iTunes menu. Go to iTunes > Preferences (you may be able to bypass the entire control click process by using the short cut [Command-,] I did not try this). Once preferences opens, then the iTunes window will magically appear. If the box that says "Show Apple Music" is not checked, then check it. For some reason if that box is not checked, then it will not connect to the Cloud. That is why it gets caught in that loop and the magical pinwheel appears.

I have not retried it by unchecking the "Show Apple Music" box.

Good luck. I hope Apple fixes this bug soon.

Update. I shut down the computer, left it off for a bit. Started it, opened iTunes, and came on full screen no problem. You will have the "For You" menu on your iTunes wanting you to purchase the service. Just leave it alone, unless of course you want to purchase the service. DO NOT CLICK ON "GO TO MY MUSIC". It will automatically uncheck the box in preferences, and you will have to go through all of this again.

BTW, if this is the fix, and I just solved it for Apple, I think they should give me at least a year of free Apple Music Service. 😀

Unless of course, Apple did this on purpose in order to get people to feel obligated to purchase the Apple Music Service. In that case...😠

iTunes 12.2 Opens Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.