Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS with iTunes Server No Longer Recognized in 12.2 (Seagate)

Hi

Seagate Central has an "iTunes server" that allows one to choose the library on the drive from within iTunes and play those files, via a iTunes on a desktop.

http://www.seagate.com/manuals/network-storage/business-storage-nas-os/shares-ac cess-transfer-files/media-server/

The library on the NAS drive is no longer visible to iTunes 12.2.0.145 I can get there in the finder..I've tried copying over the .itl file as an experiment.

No Joy. Firmware on Seagate is up to date.

Frustrating

Thanks for any further suggestions

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:48 AM

Probably the last iTunes update broke Seagate's software. Apple expects others to update their software to adapt to changes Apple makes in its own software so you will have to approach Seagate about this. You may be up to date as regards to Seagate's software but is it actually up to date as regards to an iTunes version released only yesterday?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 11:48 AM in response to usedtobegoodatthisstuff

Probably the last iTunes update broke Seagate's software. Apple expects others to update their software to adapt to changes Apple makes in its own software so you will have to approach Seagate about this. You may be up to date as regards to Seagate's software but is it actually up to date as regards to an iTunes version released only yesterday?

Jul 1, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks Limnos!

Here's Seagate's take on it: "There have been no changes to our firmware. It was a change that Apple made that is causing some network drives not to show any longer. Unfortunately, Seagate cannot fix something that Apple changed to make our drives not show correctly in their software. "

http://community.seagate.com/cso_community_zones?catName=&id=90630000000iFaLAAU& search=itunes&searchFilter=All+Results&z…

I want my hour back. It doesn't look like that will ever work again..

Jul 1, 2015 1:22 PM in response to usedtobegoodatthisstuff

Interesting response in the link, thanks. I don't know how these things works as servers and it may be something on both sides. I know Apple has long had it you could share iTunes libraries over network connections and maybe the Seagate server was hooking onto that somehow. I don't know what Apple changed and if it shut the door completely now (out of a sense of perversity, a sense of obsolescence, security...?) or simply changed the way you have to knock on the door to get it to open if you are a server and Seagate has to change how it talks to iTunes.

I know a lot of people are keen on NAS but I see several posts per week on major NAS issues with iTunes and my advice would be to stick with a plain external hard drive unless you have to use NAS. Applle would tell you if you want NAS buy their Time Capsule or Airport Extreme (with network USB ports)

NAS with iTunes Server No Longer Recognized in 12.2 (Seagate)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.