Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to track my dad's iPhone 6 using "Find My iPhone"

I recently added my dad to my at&t account. He is very prone to losing things and I am worried that he may lose his new iPhone 6. I mentioned to him that I may be able to track his phone in the event that it gets lost and he agreed that this would be a good idea.

From my understanding, the Find My iPhone feature requires an icloud account. I'm wondering if I am required to add my icloud account to his iphone. This is not something that I want to do. I'd like to keep my pictures and personal information private. Is it possible for me to track his phone with Find My iPhone, even if he is signed in with his own icloud account? How do you track someone else's iphone using Find My iPhone?

HP (PC) desktop, iPhone OS 3.1.3, Windows vista (64 bit)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:52 AM

The only way for you to track it with his iCloud account is for him to give you the ID and password.

Just tell him to write down the credentials for his account and put it in an envelope or something. You can hang onto it in case of an emergency.

9 replies

Jul 1, 2015 12:19 PM in response to KiltedTim

He has already given me his Apple ID and password. How can I use his credentials to find his iphone, from my iPhone? Do I need to log out of my iCloud account on my iPhone and then log in with his iCloud info? Or do I simply enter his iCloud account info into Find My iPhone? Given that I have his iCloud info, what exact steps (1, 2, 3, ...) must I take to find his iphone using the Find My iPhone feature on my iPhone?

Jul 1, 2015 3:38 PM in response to SergZak

I have the app on my iphone and am currently signed in with my credentials. So, you're saying that all I need to do is sign out, and then sign in with my dad's credentials? And then I will be able to locate his phone? Or do I need to do further actions like registering my phone under his icloud account... Or signing out of iCloud completely from my phone, and then signing back in with his iCloud info? Will I lose iCloud data? Will my dad be able to access my iCloud content?

Jul 1, 2015 5:15 PM in response to daeser1

Sign out of your Apple ID in the Find my iPhone app.

Sign in with your dad's Apple ID & password in the Find my iPhone app and find his iPhone

You need to do nothing else.

Sign back in to the Find My iPhone app with your Apple ID to find your iPhone.

You will lose nothing.

The app was made in this way so your can find your iPhone with any device or PC that supports it, as long as you have the proper credentials.

The only way your dad can access your iCloud account is if he has your Apple ID & password. They are two separate Apple IDs and two separate accounts.

Jul 1, 2015 5:56 PM in response to daeser1

I ended up calling Apple for further assistance. In conclusion, the following steps must occur:

1) The lost phone must have iCloud turned on

2) Within iCloud, on the lost phone, Find My iPhone must also be turned on

3) On the non-lost iPhone, log out of Find My iPhone, and then log in with the credentials associated with the lost iPhone.

*******iCloud does not need to be turned-on on the non-lost iPhone******

4) The Find My iPhone app will now show where the lost iPhone is located.

How to track my dad's iPhone 6 using "Find My iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.