Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How is iPod Touch 5th gen performing with iOS 8.4?

Hey all.

I want to know how people are coping since updating to iOS 8.4?

I have thought about updating because of the redesigned Music app, as that is the one i use the most.

I am still running iOS 7.1.2 as i think it is the best it will run at the moment. These updates keep making me consider all the time haha.

I don't understand why Apple are allowing the 5th gen to be updated if it gives a laggy experience.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:51 AM

DO NOT DO IT!!! I kinda like the way music looks when it's playing now, and that you can create a queue, but if you have a lot of music, I do not advise updating. It doesn't sort correctly, the albums sort by artists instead of title. Also I've had problems putting music from my computer onto it after the update- I don't know if that is because of the update or not. It really isn't that great if you're not using Apple Music (I'm not). But it's really your choice. I don't know about lag, but mine has stopped restarting all the time so that's one good thing. This probably doesn't make sense, but I tried?

iPod touch (5th gen), iOS 8.4

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 8:51 AM in response to jaissal_89

DO NOT DO IT!!! I kinda like the way music looks when it's playing now, and that you can create a queue, but if you have a lot of music, I do not advise updating. It doesn't sort correctly, the albums sort by artists instead of title. Also I've had problems putting music from my computer onto it after the update- I don't know if that is because of the update or not. It really isn't that great if you're not using Apple Music (I'm not). But it's really your choice. I don't know about lag, but mine has stopped restarting all the time so that's one good thing. This probably doesn't make sense, but I tried?

iPod touch (5th gen), iOS 8.4

Jul 5, 2015 8:30 AM in response to officially.ocean

Thanks for the advice!

I haven't updated yet so i'm safe.

I still don't understand why Apple allow the A5 chip devices to be updated. It's quited dated now to be running 2015 software.

I do like the fact that they have redesigned the Music app though. It needed it. My mum has an iPhone 6 and I updated it for her and the Music app looks ok. However, as she has no music there, I want to test it with an artist that has many albums to scroll through. It's such a pain! It was alot easier on iOS 6 if i remember.

I have heard that iOS 9 will also be available for us too and that it is suppose to help with performance of older devices. I wonder if that will be true.

Jul 5, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Kip Wylie

Ahh this is what Apple do it seems. It makes me wonder if they actually test the iPod Touch 5th gen reliably with the software that is going to be released to see how it performs.

I believe that they should have stopped updating it from the iOS 7.1.2 as my device runs well with it. Only issue is battery. I hope that the 6th gen has at least a 2000 mAh battery. Make the device thicker too.

Jul 5, 2015 2:51 PM in response to jaissal_89

I wish I had seen this earlier, the new OS makes iTunes a nightmare, can't shuffle songs, music disappears and can't be added back from my PC, artwork maybe/maybe not, useless on the fly (everything has to be done with Playlists.) This is my biggest Apple disappointment ever! It was iTunes that brought me to Apple products, and it may be my reason to leave. I suppose if you're interested in streaming (I am not,) there might be something here for you. Otherwise forget about it, I feel like I have 3 pricey new paperweights.

Jul 6, 2015 5:56 PM in response to jaissal_89

DO NOT UPDATE!!!!!!! Mine will no longer work in the car. The only reason I bought it was to play music in my car. Now it repeats the same song over and over, will not forward, will not respond to the buttons on the dashboard. It worked for a couple of years just fine. The last two updates have been horrible , and now.....it is worthless. I am using it to hold the doggie door open and buying a Sansa. 8.4 ruined the iPod for my use.

Jul 27, 2015 8:46 AM in response to jaissal_89

I have had several problems since updating to 8.4.

In the new Music app it does not seem possible to list all songs in the Ipod in order to play them randomly. It only recognizes existing play lists.

I added some new albums in Itunes on my computer but these are not transferred to my Ipod when I synchronise, even after synchronising three times.

Most of the album images on my Ipod have disappeared.

Does anyone know of any fixes for all the problems listed in these posts? Is there anyone from Apple listening to this?

Jul 27, 2015 8:53 AM in response to roninmontreal

Ah thats good to know. This is why I have been waiting after each update Apple release to see how it performs on my own device and how does it change the performance. Which is why I haven't updated since iOS 7.1.2 as its the most my iPod will work well. iOS 8 just looks problematic for the A5 chip.

I have actually considered upgrading to the new but quietly revealed 6th gen which has the A8 chip and M8 chip from the iPhone 6 alothough slightly clocked lower.

Are any of you interested in upgrading to the 6th gen?

Jul 27, 2015 10:22 AM in response to jaissal_89

I'll second so many others; DON'T DO IT!!! I upgraded about 2 weeks ago and lost all my music and videos. Just gone. Instead I had about 15 new songs that I did not buy and do not want. Having an ipod should mean being able to carry all your songs along with you so you can play them anywhere you are. Not any more. I don't belong to icloud, music match or anything else. I just want my music back. I'm traveling so I will not be able to reload from my itunes for another 3 months. I'm not optimistic about trying to restore all my music from itunes. There is just too much wrong with 8.4.

Jul 28, 2015 7:01 AM in response to jaissal_89

i've encountered the following

- all my tracks were sorted as Surname, Foreman for artists, since the update, some stay like that, some revert to sorting by first name - not consistent

- shuffle all songs by specified artist is no longer there

- tracks marked as "skip when shuffling" still play in shuffle

- albums are sorted in artist alphabetical order, not album title

the interface takes some getting used to but is ok once you get the hang of it

Jul 28, 2015 9:44 AM in response to jaissal_89

Because Apple's thing is having wide support for all of their products. IMHO, I actually think the performance is fine. I use an iPod touch 5th gen and see no problems. Heck, I'm running iOS 9 beta and it works fine. The iPod 6th gen that I just got as a second device is way better. I think that iOS 9 will be the last big number update for the A5 processor.

How is iPod Touch 5th gen performing with iOS 8.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.