Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I access my iphoto library on my iMac from my Macbook.

I want to use my photos that are on my iMac from my Macbook. I don't want to copy the library because I don't want to make a duplicate but just access the photos from my laptop, whilst in my home so on the same network

MacBook

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:14 PM

An iPhoto Library (iPhoto '11 ) cannot be shared on a network.

Move the library to an external drive and connect this drive to the mac where you want o use the library. See this document on how to set this up:

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

If you access the library across the network, you are risking to corrupt it. This applies to iPhoto as well: Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library - Apple Support

Also, it is strongly recommended that the Aperture library be stored on a locally mounted hard drive. Storing the Aperture library on a network share can also lead to poor performance, data corruption, or data loss.

iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives - Apple Support

Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.

iPhoto libraries should be stored on a locally mounted Mac OS X Extended drive for best performance.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 1:14 PM in response to Maikhaah

An iPhoto Library (iPhoto '11 ) cannot be shared on a network.

Move the library to an external drive and connect this drive to the mac where you want o use the library. See this document on how to set this up:

iPhoto: Sharing libraries among multiple users

If you access the library across the network, you are risking to corrupt it. This applies to iPhoto as well: Aperture: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library - Apple Support

Also, it is strongly recommended that the Aperture library be stored on a locally mounted hard drive. Storing the Aperture library on a network share can also lead to poor performance, data corruption, or data loss.

iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives - Apple Support

Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.

iPhoto libraries should be stored on a locally mounted Mac OS X Extended drive for best performance.

Jul 1, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Maikhaah

if I copy to an external drive, can I use that drive to store future photos or will they always be stored on my iMac? I want to avoid having 2 libraries

You could move the library there, not just copy, and use it only on the external drive from both macs. If the drive is connected to a fast port, you will not notice much difference in speed, and you will have plenty of free storage for future photos. A small, portable drive be no problem to carry around along with your MacBook. Even a 1TB drive is tiny.

How can I access my iphoto library on my iMac from my Macbook.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.