Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 won't install "errors during installation" rerun installer

First off, if I try to install it to the default directory in Program Files, it tells me I don't have access. Despite being on the only account on a home computer, which also happens to be an administrator account, which also happens to be right-click "run as administrator".

If I choose a different directory it tells me there were errors during the installation and to try again.

I have uninstalled EVERYTHING Apple related and tried again, still no luck.

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:57 AM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Matthew110607

What version of Windows are you running?

Even if you are the administrator, right-clicking on the installer and selecting Run as Administrator gives the installer additional security rights to make changes to your computer.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software on 64-bit systems.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Jul 1, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Matthew110607

I had this occur when upgrading my Win7/64 system to 12.2. I followed the procedures described in tt2's user tip to remove all components of the previous installation and ran the installer as Administrator (which does make a difference, even though my user account already has Admin privileges). Installed perfectly. I actually had a near-identical scenario with another piece of software earlier this week, maybe a hint that a recent Windows update may be having some odd side-effects.

Jul 24, 2015 4:31 PM in response to lopeadope

iTunes 12.2 requires Windows 7 or later. iTunes 12.1.2 is the last version to work with Windows Vista* - direct links to the installers as follows:

The third of these - which is actually the 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer - should be used if you get a warning about video card incompatibility when you install the standard 64-bit version, but also may resolve issues with playback, QuickTime compatibility, and problems with some third-party applications (including Outlook).

* acknowledging that all versions of iTunes since 11.1.5 have had a problem with Data Execution Prevention errors in Vista.

iTunes 12.2 won't install "errors during installation" rerun installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.