Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer pc photos to iPad via sd

Greetings. Recently acquired IPad Air and find the whole process of transferring PC photos across to iPad ridiculously complex. Transfer from camera is ok, iTunes just deletes existing folders so I thought I would format a card in camera and using a card reader transfer via a lightning reader cable. So far so good, but although import symbol highlights, it tells me that there are no photos available to download. Duh! What am I doing wrong? Desktop is windows. Thanks tony

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 12:33 PM

How are the photos getting onto the card ? If you are copying them onto it yourself then you need to create a DCIM directory off the root of the card, with the photos underneath it, and the photo filenames need to be exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension i.e. in a similar format as if a camera had created/written them

For syncing via iTunes, you can't delete synced photos directly in the Photos app, instead they are deleted by not including them in the next photo sync - so you need to select and sync all the photos that you want from your computer on each photo sync. There are also third-party photo management apps such as Photo Manager Pro which are more powerful, that app lets you copy photos to/from iTunes via the file sharing section on the Apps tab, and to/from the Photos app

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 12:33 PM in response to tonydl

How are the photos getting onto the card ? If you are copying them onto it yourself then you need to create a DCIM directory off the root of the card, with the photos underneath it, and the photo filenames need to be exactly 8 characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension i.e. in a similar format as if a camera had created/written them

For syncing via iTunes, you can't delete synced photos directly in the Photos app, instead they are deleted by not including them in the next photo sync - so you need to select and sync all the photos that you want from your computer on each photo sync. There are also third-party photo management apps such as Photo Manager Pro which are more powerful, that app lets you copy photos to/from iTunes via the file sharing section on the Apps tab, and to/from the Photos app

Jul 1, 2015 1:25 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks King Penguin. I assumed that because I had formatted the sd card in camera that iPad would read as though it were from that device . My next question is how do I create a dcim directory and do I have to rename each individual photo file name plus JPEG . I thought that was already embedded in the exif files. Thanks

Jul 1, 2015 6:19 PM in response to tonydl

I would think your camera would create the correct directory. Take a camera picture. See if you can find the camera picture with the correct name and directory/folder. Directory and folder are the same thing.

What type of camera is it?

What is the size of your sd card? I do not know what is the max size on the ipad.

My next question is how do I create a dcim directory

This needs to be a fat32/dos or exfat formatted card. Camera should do the correct thing. Any which way you want. However you create a folder in Windows.

For another way of transferring pictures, you could try dropbox.com. install dropbox on you ipad and pc.

and do I have to rename each individual photo file name plus JPEG .

Yes. You may be able to avoid this by using dropbox.com You would still have to have the correct extension for instance jpeg.

Robert

Jul 1, 2015 6:45 PM in response to King_Penguin

On your SD card, plugged into your computer, right click, make a new folder, call that folder DCIM

Then drag your photos into that folder

Your photos all need to follow the general naming convention DSC_2435.jpg

or maybe IMG_3455.jpg.....the 8 characters mentioned by others....most digital cameras name their files that way

You basically use your computer to mimic what your digital camera does normally

Another way to get photos onto your iPad would be to use something like Dropbox or OneDrive, which are cloud services. Upload your photos there from your computer, download them onto your iPad.

Transfer pc photos to iPad via sd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.