Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay does not start for my iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.4

I want to use AirPlay to stream music from my iPhone to my Living Room stereo.

Environment:

iPhone 6+, iOS 8.4

Airport Express running v 7.6.4 firmware

running in Bridge mode, connected to main Airport basestation through ethernet over power line.

connected to stereo with audio cable

broadcasting common wireless network name

iPhone on Wireless network offered by Airport Express

Symptoms:

AirPlay shows up in the control center and the Airport Express is visible and selectable. However, when I select it the sound pauses briefly, the triangle indicator points to the Airport Express and then points back to the iPhone and the sound continues from the iPhone.

Other Airplay devices work.

This same iPhone 6+ will Airplay to my 2nd Gen Apple TV connected to a different stereo in another room.

My 3rd gen iPad running iOS 8.4 can use AirPlay to this Airport Express without problems.

My MBPro running OS X 10.10.4 and iTunes 12.2 can AirPlay to the Airport Express (kindof)

However, I can play "My Music" through AirPlay, but when I switch to radio and select beats1, the Airplay icon disappears and the only way to get it back is to relaunch iTunes. I can AirPlay other radio stations once I restart and see the AirPlay icon again. This feels like a "feature" -- no AirPlay support for beats1?

Debugging steps:

I've read almost everything I can find about AirPlay debugging, but most is very basic and targeted at just getting the AirPlay option to appear reliably. I can "see" AirPlay just fine, it just doesn't take over the audio stream when using this iPhone connecting to this AirPort Express.

I have done the following:

Rebooted the Airport express several times, turning AirPlay off, reboot, turn Airplay on, etc.

Hard reboot iPhone, turn off BT, turn wireless off and on, forget the Wireless network in question and then log in again using my password, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:22 PM

Try this..."Reset all iPhone settings"

"This will reset all settings. No data or media will be deleted."

Go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings (Confirm Warnings)

Your iPhone will reboot. Between other will be necessary you reconfigure the wallpapper, your WiFi Network Keys, Messages, Apple ID, etc. All your data is safe.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 7:22 PM in response to jcmcdermon

Try this..."Reset all iPhone settings"

"This will reset all settings. No data or media will be deleted."

Go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings (Confirm Warnings)

Your iPhone will reboot. Between other will be necessary you reconfigure the wallpapper, your WiFi Network Keys, Messages, Apple ID, etc. All your data is safe.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mar 22, 2016 2:53 AM in response to davince72

I also have this issue and it has been lasting for months. Very frustrating.

I did reset the iPhone Network settings: on the moment it seemed to solve the issue, but it came back after a few days.

Tried to change my wifi router: no improvement.

I'm running the latest software versions on iPhone 6 and Airport Express n (wifi client mode).

In my case the issue is intermittent. Here are the symptoms: select Airport Express as Airplay speaker on iPhone, looks all good, but one time out of two no sound comes out - although the iPhone looks like it is playing fine to the Airport Express. I noticed this especially happens AFTER playing something: if the music is paused for a moment (to take a phone call or because the album has ended for instance), when I want to play something again, it won't work. I noticed this issue doesn't happen if I just come back home and play music for the first time that day.

Has anyone found a real solution to this issue?

Any help is appreciated.

AirPlay does not start for my iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.