Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loss of memory on iPhone

i dont know what's wrong. I have iPhone 5c 8gb and for the past two days I have a problem with storage. It's always nearly full or full. I had about 300 mb free memory yesterday and I haven't installed anything new since then but the storage is almost always full. I don't have any heavy apps or anything. There wasn't a problem before I updated to iOS 8.4 and started using Apple music. This is the only new thing on my phone. I don't really know what to do. iTunes says there are about 1 gb of free space. But it tends to exaggerate, but battery doctor app shows about 600 mb of free memory. And where has all the memory gone since yesterday is a mystery. I hope someone will be able to help me. If needed I can attach screenshots of the storage

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 12:40 PM

3 replies

Jul 1, 2015 12:47 PM in response to kat_kina

Could you please send a screenshot of the storage breakdown bar when you plug your iPhone into iTunes on your computer?

I really wouldn't put too much faith into third-party applications like Battery Doctor to tell you the precise amount of free storage available on your phone... I've used a few and they rarely give accurate storage values.

You might have a lot of music downloaded to your device, or really large amounts of photos and videos in your Camera Roll. Keep in mind that even though the box says you have an 8-gigabyte iPhone, around 3 GB is already used by the operating system, and your media can add up really quick.

Also, your "Other" storage may really be eating up your free space (the yellow bar on the storage breakup view in iTunes). Last December, on my 64 GB iPhone 6, "Other" had taken up 23 GB on my iPhone. That's a really significant chunk! I dealt with Apple Support, who walked me through a full backup of everything on my device and a restore of that backup. After that, "Other" went back down to 9 GB (which is still unusually high, but a much-welcomed improvement). You can consult How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support for help on performing a back-up of your iPhone, and then Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support if you need any help restoring your backup.

Hope this helps! Feel free to reply with screenshots or further explanations... I'll be happy to further assist you.

Jul 2, 2015 2:33 AM in response to thomasdangit

But the thing is, there are no heavy anything on my phone. And itunes shows plenty of meory left, but on my phone there are practically none. I had to delete some of my apps and now there are only 20 mb left. memory seems to dissapear after I use Apple music, I tried turning it off, but there was no change. I/m attaching screenshots of Itunes memory bar and phone memory to see how radically it differs from one another. I don't know what to do. What the problem and solution may be.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Loss of memory on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.