Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iTunes re-syncing all album artwork to iphone on every sync

Using iTunes 12.2, and trying to sync with my iPhone 6, which is using IOS 8.4.

I have NOT subscribed to Apple Music.

Every time I sync via USB, it gets stuck on "Waiting for Changes to be Applied" for about 5 minutes, and then starts re-syncing ALL of my album artwork onto the phone. I've synced 3 times in the last hour (once disconnecting and then reconnecting, and then once after leaving the cable connected), and each time it has re-synced all 7,000+ album covers.

Help!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, iTunes 12.2.0.145

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:38 PM

13 replies

Mar 9, 2016 5:06 PM in response to Saffir99

Saffir99 wrote:

I'm surprised this has never been addressed in any update. It syncing album artwork frequently is pretty dumb, especially since the artwork is already on the phone.

I know the last response is a month and a half old, but this should be addressed.

Mine doesn’t do it and I have not seen many others posting that it does this.

Mar 13, 2016 6:24 AM in response to Chris CA

Well, this morning I tried to sync and it went to sync the artwork for 2210 songs again. I didn't change anything. This has been going on for awhile, even after getting an iPhone 6s a couple months back. Start fresh and stop the problem? Nope. Still doing it.

It might not happen to a majority of users, but it does still happen, and if there can be a fix for this, then it would be a good thing.

May 6, 2016 8:54 AM in response to Chris CA

How does this contribute in any way to the discussion? If you aren't experiencing it and have no solution I don't see why you would attempt to minimize the issue by suggesting that it isn't common.

I have experienced this very frustrating problem in the past (iOS 8), and it suddenly started happening again 2 weeks ago. My music library is very well organized, with tags and art maintained for all 75,000+ items.

My iPhone 6+ and my iTunes are both current on software updates. Each time I sync, it syncs all 3,000 album art images for the items that are on my iPhone. At the same time, the size of the "Other" category of data on my phone is gradually growing. I assume this is the unrecognized art that is being stored on the phone.

This is a real problem and needs to be addressed by Apple (as I believe it to be a software issue and not a user-caused problem), or by someone on these discussion boards that actually is familiar with the issue and has a constructive suggestion for a solution.

May 6, 2016 4:06 PM in response to GreyFlannelDwarf

GreyFlannelDwarf wrote:

How does this contribute in any way to the discussion? If you aren't experiencing it and have no solution I don't see why you would attempt to minimize the issue by suggesting that it isn't common.

Im not minimizing anything.
I stated, “I have not seen many others posting that it does this” because I have not seen many others posting this because it is not common.

This is a real problem and needs to be addressed by Apple

for some...

by someone on these discussion boards that actually is familiar with the issue and has a constructive suggestion for a solution.

I posted a very useful and constructive suggestion.

May 16, 2016 6:55 PM in response to GreyFlannelDwarf

I have the same complaint and it continues with new iTunes 12.4 released today. What a waste of my time waiting to sync artwork that already exists. I understand that albums are sometimes re-released with new covers and sometimes the artwork on my saved albums in iTunes gets updated when syncing, but this is a constant problem for both my iPhone 6S and iPad Air. Apple needs to figure this out and fix it. Overall sync time could be reduced by at least 25%.

May 16, 2016 9:09 PM in response to Spediteur

As an old guy who doesn't even have a smartphone, I have found that I avoid constant album resynching and the changing of my album covers by Apple on my new iPod Touch, by turning Airplane mode ON while I synch from my iMac. That way my desktop/iPod can't communicate with the Apple Store which uses box sets to sometimes use for your library. Some people I know even turn off their Wi-Fi while synching if you're simply synching from your desktop library. The device (phone or iPod) can only synch what is in YOUR library, not Apple's...and for me, it only synchs new songs. Don't know if it will work but that would be aggravating with thousands of songs. When you're done, you can turn Airplane mode back OFF and put your Wi-Fi ON. I'm very slow at absorbing these changes but so far 12.4 seems to work well with no issues. Thankfully, 12.4 still allows me the 12" display of my album artwork....not as good as CoverFlow but looks great on my 27" iMac. Oh...and I completely turn off Apple Music, Genius, and other factors that can potentially interfere with synching.

Why is iTunes re-syncing all album artwork to iphone on every sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.