Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've changed my Apple ID email address, can't use iCloud

I recently changed the email address for my Apple iCloud account, which means I now have a new Apple ID (terrible idea, making the ID your email address - this has been a big no-no in the online world for years). I was then unable to use any app that was formerly tied to my iCloud account, which used the old ID. I finally was able to log out of the old ID on my iPad and sign back in with the new one (it said it would merge everything - no problems yet).

Unfortunately, things aren't so easy on my iMac. I continue to get the iCloud popup that asks for my Apple ID ... for my old email/ID. I want to log out of the old address and log in with the new one, but I get the very scary warning that this will erase all photos, calendar events, documents, etc., *on my iMac*. What the heck?

So, I'm stuck. Is there another way to do this?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:15 PM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2015 1:40 PM in response to Chappsnet

Hello Chappsnet,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that you've changed your Apple ID, and now are concerned about what to do with iCloud on your Mac. To learn more, please see the information outlined below, as well as the link.

Mac with OS X Mountain Lion or later

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click iCloud.

• If you're signed out, enter your updated Apple ID or password to sign in. The data in iCloud will automatically appear on your device after you sign in.
  • If you're signed in with your previous Apple ID:
    1. Click Sign Out. Depending on what iCloud options are turned on, you'll be asked if you want to make copies or delete iCloud data (Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Bookmarks, Photo Stream) from your Mac. Your data will remain in iCloud and will be updated on your device when you sign in to iCloud again.
    2. Enter your updated Apple ID or password to sign in.

What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

I've changed my Apple ID email address, can't use iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.