Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reinstall iPhoto

How do I reinstall iPhoto on my mac (with OS X Yosemite)? I mistakingly upgraded to the Photos app without realizing what a horrible app it is and what a mistake it was. I have tried opening iPhoto from my purchases in the App store, but nothing happens when I click on the "open" button. I have clicked on the iPhoto icon in the applications folder on my computer and it brings up this statement: "In order to open 'iPhoto', you need to update to the latest version." When I go to the app store to update the version, this shows up: "The item you have requested is not currently available in the U.S. store." I have done all the steps that have been listed in other posts, but I am at a dead end. I REALLY hate the Photos app and I want iPhoto back. I have already given feedback to Apple about all the problems with the Photos app. But I can't wait who knows how long for them to fix the major problems (1. not having a batch rename function; 2. not being able to tell from the photos page which photos I already have in an album; 3. not being able to drag photos to a trash can and now having more steps to delete photos). Can anyone tell me how to get iPhoto back by a means other than what I have already tried? Thanks so much in advance!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:26 PM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2015 1:31 PM in response to adesbien

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 2:21 PM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

reinstall iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.