Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reduce extreme file size of Project

I just completed a 4 1/2 minute fashion short, based on about 70 minutes of footage.

The file size of the project is 110 GB.

What can I do to reduce it? (I already deleted unused render files)

Questions in detail:

1. Deleting footage: is it correct , that if I accidentally delete a scene that's being used in the final version, FCP X will not let my do it (as a safeguard).

2. I'd like to move the whole project on an external hard drive (G-Tech, spinning hard drive) - will this be a fast enough connection to play back the project?

3. I'd like to keep a version on my laptop to show even when the external hard drive is offline. What settings do you recommend?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 1:35 PM

6 replies

Jul 1, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Ocean 17

Render files are really tiny.

If you don't need the footage, you just share your finished movie and throw everything else away. Probably not what you want to do.

For some projects, we trim our clips using Favorites, assemble all the items in the Favorites Smart Collection into a single timeline, and share that at original/native settings. Then we can delete everything else and just keep the long movie. It's not ideal but it does a certain kind of job for us.

Hope you get better advice and guidance.

Philip Hodgetts recommends this product:

http://www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

You might try watching this for some hints

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1129-the-correct-way-to-archive-a-fina l-cut-pro-x-project

Reduce extreme file size of Project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.