Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the photos app that's on my iPhone now showing up on my Mac?

Clearly this must have happened with the last update but when I use the computer I prefer to use iPhoto because I have years of photos organized into events by date and the Photos app doesn't do that. Or if it does, I don't have the time to switch over everything. iPhoto has been running much more slowly than it used to, please tell me it's not being phased out or something. I've been trying to find updates but haven't been able to, so far. Is there a way to change settings so that when I plug in my iPhone it continues to default to iPhoto instead of the Photos app?

Any insight would be helpful.

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:31 PM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2015 2:47 PM in response to NurseMarci

iPhoto has been running much more slowly than it used to, please tell me it's not being phased out or something.

Apple announced that iPhoto will not be further developed and stopped selling both iPhoto and Aperture at the AppStore. All new development for photo software will be for the new Photos.app. (Aperture is Dead. Long Live Photos! | ApertureExpert)

The compatibility update iPhoto 9.6.1 for MacOS X 10.10.3 is probably the last update that will be released.

To update to 9.6.1 see this user tip:

Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

Is there a way to change settings so that when I plug in my iPhone it continues to default to iPhoto instead of the Photos app?

You can do that in Photos: When you connect your iPhone there is a checkmark in the upper left corner of the window. Disable this.

And in Image Capture enable iPhoto:

• Launch Image Capture.
  • Connect the iPhone and select it in the sidebar.
  • In the bottom pane of the sidebar press the disclosure triangle and select "Connecting this ...opens' iPhoto".
  • Quit Image Capture. Disconnect the iPhone.

Why is the photos app that's on my iPhone now showing up on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.