Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2008 MacBook Pro Black Screen

Greetings all,

I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro. A few days ago the screen would not want to come on from over night computer sleep. I did the usual thing I do issues whether is relevant to this issue or not from repairing permissions, zapping the PRAM, unplugging the power cord/removing the battery held the power button on for a good 15 seconds, removing the RAM and starting the machine with RAM, put the RAM one module at a time and then both again, turning the screen brightness key on the board all the way up and down many many times, and finally trying someone’s suggestion to remove Flash Player and install it again. After all of this the screen refuses to light up. Using a flash light I can see that things are showing on the screen. Hooked my TV using DVI to HDMI cable and everything on the TV was mirroring on the computer’s black screen. I can do anything I want with the computer using the TV to see what I am doing.

Obviously, the video card is still working, and the mother board is not dead. My question is, is this something that can be easily fixed. I have no fear opening the case and replace any needed part, ( I’ve done my own HD upgrade, then once again when went from HDD to SSD, changing left fan.) I’m just not comfortable doing any soldering if this repair requires soldering or changing screen. Some general information I gathered talk of inverter failure, but it does not describe the ins sue in detail so that I could tell if my issue is similar ( video out still work, black screen still working in the very dark, RAM is not the issue, etc…).

Any information as what I have at hands would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Core2Duo256GB-SSD,4GB-RAMGeForce860

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:01 PM

4 replies

Jul 3, 2015 2:27 PM in response to moore2265

Hi moore2265,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue with your MacBook Pro. Based on the symptoms you are describing, the model in question, and the troubleshooting you have already done, it sounds like a display backlight failure of some sort. For more precise information or options for repair, you may need to have the machine serviced. You may find the following page helpful:

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

Regards,

- Brenden

Jul 4, 2015 9:40 AM in response to brenden dv

Thank you Brenden,

I agree with you. I did some more research on iFxit and I'm hoping that what I concluded to be the problem at hand is correct. That I need to change the LED Driver Board and that is going to fix the problem. It means going into the display. Oh well, one more adventure inside this machine. If I mess it up, this one is going on the desk as a desktop machine to replace my G5 tower. If I fix it, I'm passing it on to a family member. I have placed an order, that should be here Monday, for a Mid 2014 MBP 15.4".

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post! Sorry about some parts in the original post. I was typing it while fighting dosing off. When I read it later I couldn't edit it.

Cheers!

Jul 11, 2015 7:56 PM in response to brenden dv

Update.

Got the LED Driver Board. Opened the machine apart, took the screen apart, replaced the LDB, put the screen and machine back together, fired it up, BINGO! Screen came back on. Success however came a few days late since I had already bought a new 15.4" Retina MacBook Pro. I'm keeping my promise of passing the old machine over to a family member. I'm changing the replacing the SSD I have installed in it the past, with another SSD but with smaller storage capacity, before I givie it away.

Best Regards.

Apr 8, 2016 11:45 AM in response to moore2265

Hi moore2265

I've as well just experienced the very same problem with my MB Pro early 2008. My service shop (easyfiks) told me today that it might not be worth changing the LED Driver Board because of possible heat damage to other parts (processor board etc.). But I'm curious about where you've got the SSD and LED Driver Board from (which retailer?). I've now also tried three sets of 2 x 2 GB RAM Board from Mr. Memory in UK, but the machine just won't accept them at all. Mr Memory have no ideas how to solve the problem though they just send away replacements for me when I've returned the mismatch ones.

So if you please would pass me that link, I would be very greatful.

By the way Im very pleased to hear there is a hope for my beloved MB Pro.

Best regards Rysi

Early 2008 MacBook Pro Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.