Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A question re: Deauthorization

When you "De-authorize" a computer, does it mean you are de-authorizing the host computer or the device that's plugged into it (via iTunes)?

Reason why I ask is that my young son has an iPad [mini] that is authorized on my wife's laptop through her own iTunes account. I have my own iTunes account on my iMac and my son recently received an iTunes gift card through my email address. I want to erase all the apps and info off his iPad from my wife's account, use the ones on mine, plus cash in the gift card.

So, if I understand the instructions; Do I plug in his iPad to my computer, open iTunes, then select "De-Authorize This Computer?" I just want to make sure that it's referring to the plugged in iPad—and NOT my desktop iMac. Or, do I De-authorize his iPad from my wife's laptop first, then authorize it from mine afterward?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:35 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2015 2:50 PM in response to MorrisLives

Make sure you understand the difference between authorization and association.

Here is a snapshot of what might be seen from your wife's computer when opening iTunes and going to Account > View Account from iTunes' menu:

User uploaded file

An iOS device is one of those associated with an Apple ID and therefore able to download and share purchases.

Based on your question, I think you want to end this association with your wife's account.

Jul 1, 2015 3:09 PM in response to MorrisLives

This is going to get complicated fast. 🙂

He/you need to disassociate his device from your wife's account and then associate to yours. Change iTunes Store account on an iOS device - Log out of your current account with Settings.app > Store (Settings > iTunes & App Stores on iOS 6) > tap on your AppleID. Log in with a different account. Note, turning on automatic downloads or re-download past purchases may tie the device to that account for 90 days - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

My understanding is your wife need not do anything on her computer. It is authorized to her account and once his device is associated with yours he will not be able to access her account unless he remembers the user ID and password.

You need to associate his device to your account. Your computer is, of course, already authorized to his account. Note, you may wish to make settings in parental restrictions on his device. He is going to get full access to your account if you do this!

Bear in mind when he connects his device to your computer the iTunes library will not recognize the device and will wipe the device. If there really are things from your wife's account he wishes to use there are steps which can be taken to share items between accounts (Home Sharing, Family Sharing) if you and your wife are, uh, still together (never can tell here!) This is all a rather complicated arrangement to deter piracy.

Jul 1, 2015 5:44 PM in response to MorrisLives

MorrisLives wrote:

I have my own iTunes account on my iMac and my son recently received an iTunes gift card through my email address. I want to erase all the apps and info off his iPad from my wife's account, use the ones on mine, plus cash in the gift card.

OK, since the iPad is not associated with your wife's iTunes account, and you want to remove all her stuff from the iPad, I suggest doing:

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

on the iPad.

Then set it up using your iTunes. Keep Limnos' comments in mind, especially regarding restrictions and sharing.

Jul 1, 2015 6:33 PM in response to MorrisLives

An update:

Ok, After finding out that this iPad was not associated nor authorized on my wife's laptop (BTW, we are happily married and living under the same roof 😉), I thought I'd simply "re-authorize" and sync both my computer and our 7-year old son's iPad mini while it was plugged in with iTunes open, and got the following:

User uploaded file

So I "re-authorize" only to get this:

User uploaded file

I don't get it 😠 😠 😠

A question re: Deauthorization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.