Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Places work erratically

Everything was fine until now. I wasn't using iPhoto for some time so when I imported new photos today and wanted to assign places I got a long wait that resulted in nothing. At first, iPhoto couldn't find a place though Google Maps located it easily, and now when I was checking whether it's able to display my other places (that it used to perfectly) I see this (or to be more specific, see nothing, just blank space).

User uploaded file

What is this and how do I resolve this?

Mac OS X (10.7.5), MacBook Pro 15.4 mid-2012

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 2:55 PM

16 replies

Jul 2, 2015 5:40 AM in response to scrutinizer82

Which version of iPhoto are you using? And of MacOS X?

Test with a new iPhoto Library, if you can see maps, when you launch iPhoto while holding down the alt/options key. Then select to create a new photo library from the file chooser panel.

If you can still see no maps, sign out of your regular account and sign in from the Guest user account. Launch iPhoto from there and import a few test images. Do the maps work in the Guest account?

Jul 2, 2015 9:07 AM in response to léonie

I'm on v.9.4.3, LION. I came across several threads on this forum with many other users struggling to fight the problem. I did everytning I could learn of suggested solutions: logged in from guest account, cleared Safari 's cache and Google's cookies , as it seems Manage my Places is a Web app that is in some ways tied up with Internet services and Google data particularly, also cleaned cache of iPhoto, even moved its container to the desktop trying to bring it back to the default state, did the same with its plist - no result. It's the old issue and I think it's a Google 's fault.

Jul 12, 2015 9:48 AM in response to Fatsubsonic

If Apple don't want to support their software neither will I.... I am now switching to Adobe Lightroom until Apple sort this out....

Swap a 4 year old version of a free app on a four year old version of a free OS - both of which can be updated for free, for an app that costs a minimum of $120 per year. That'll really learn'em there in Cupertino 😉

Jul 13, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Yer_Man

According to me, it's not the point.

The issue is Apple disconnected this feature from many versions of iPhoto (the one compatible with MountainLion not that old...) without a single warning or notice.

I have met many people trying to figure out what got wrong with their Mac when they found that blank screen, re-installing MacOs X, iPhoto, old backups... spending hours to fix something that has nothing to do with there Mac

Sep 1, 2015 7:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

So Terrence, you're telling us we should abandon everything (that continue to work pretty well except a single glitch in which somebody decided to f*** up a feature) we got 4 years ago if there are new free versions of it with MANY different settings and properties without considering other parameters? So Apple produces what it produces for only a maximum of 4 years of support? What a sustainable product. Wow!

Ah by the way, if you were thinking you didn't pay for the OS and the programs when buying a Mac, I recommend reading marketing and microeconomics once again if you've ever did.

Sep 1, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Stultitia

Perhaps you should read what I wrote and not what you wished I wrote.

As you seem to have basic comprehension difficulty, I was making the point that swapping the free iPhoto and it's free features - all of which are still available if you choose the free updates - for an app that costs $120 on subscription hardly seems to be a way to force Apple to "sort this out". Subtle I know, but when you can't even copy the spelling of my name, how can I be surprised.

Sep 1, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Yer_Man

Wow. My grammar and spelling, eh?

You know what they say about written arguments on the internet, do you?

I'm sure you have the knowledge and ability to use a search engine, so I don't feel obliged to explain neither it, nor my sentences above, further. I think I made myself pretty clear about presenting a product/service and then somehow breaking it or letting it break remotely in a couple of years, and not taking responsibility. I hope I am wrong and they are a responsible company and will fix it.

Thank you for helping me improve my non-mother-tongue English by pursuing a dialogue with me,

Take care Terence,

Arda

Sep 1, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Stultitia

Perhaps you should read what I wrote and not what you wished I wrote.

There you go again. I made no mention of your grammar at all. As for your spelling I simply mentioned you couldn't even copy what was on the screen just above what you wrote. So it was your ability to actually copy something I was referring to. The service is not broken, but remains available. All you have to do is keep the app and the OS up-to-date - and that costs nothing.

Sep 1, 2015 8:05 PM in response to scrutinizer82

This was a problem in the past with Google cookies. Open Safari (I'm using Safari 8.0.7 on Mavericks now so these instructions might not be exactly the same) and go to the Privacy tab. There should be a button for "Details" about website data. Search the cookies for "Google" and delete all of them.

User uploaded file

You may need to quit Safari and iPhoto. But before Apple switched to using Apple maps for the places this resolved the issue.

-Doug

Places work erratically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.