Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular data not working for Siri, Maps

Updated my 6 Plus/ATT to 8.4 this morning. Cellular data not working at least for Siri and Maps. Works fine on wifi. Siri tells me "Sorry, I've lost the Internet connection." Maps says direction not available. Safari and apps accessing internet seem to work ok, just those looking for apple servers (I think!) Haven't had time today to really troubleshoot, although I did the usual, reboot, turn things on and off, location on and off, cellular data, lte on and off, restart some more, reset network, stopped short of restoring, figured wait awhile before going nuclear. Battery seems really hot to me too.

I've seen comments here and there about same/similar problems and AppleInsider was reporting "Cloud based services slow or unresponsive" at around 11:30am ET.

Any ideas or info?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4, ATT

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 3:46 PM

9 replies

Jul 1, 2015 4:21 PM in response to Peterpw

Peterpw,

I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 6 on AT&T. I upgraded to 8.4 yesterday afternoon. Everything worked fine on my trip from north of Richmond, VA to South of Baltimore, MD this morning. I listened to Beats 1 and streaming playlists, while following directions from the maps app, using Siri, etc. On the way home about 1:30 pm, Siri didn't work. It kept telling me "I've lost the internet connection". I pulled over into a parking lot to try and look up my next destination in maps but the search capability said "Directions Not Available - Route information is not available at this moment". Fortunately, I could still stream music and load web pages, however, so I did have some internet connectivity. Find friends does not work either. I had 4 or 5 LTE bars most of the time as well.

I called Applecare and they said that some services were down and to wait. I said the problem I'm having was with Maps and Siri but those were both green at the time. They still said to wait. That was a few hours ago. At the time a few iCloud services were down. According to the Apple Service Status page, all services are up now but I still have the problem.

When I arrived home, I had my wife turn off WiFi on her iPhone 6 plus on AT&T and try to use Siri. She also got the "I've lost the internet connection" message. She did NOT upgrade to 8.4.

I drove across a significant distance across Maryland and Virginia today so I don't think it is a local outage.

I tried all of the same steps you did including a hard reset with no luck.

I'm starting to wonder if this is an AT&T issue.

Thanks,

phil

Jul 1, 2015 4:28 PM in response to pirey4

I concur that it seems limited to AT&T and doesn't matter whether iOS device is running 8.3 or 8.4. Multiple co-workers with iPhones on various versions of iOS and only AT&T users are having issues with Apple Services (Maps, Siri, App Installers and updates etc). I contacted AT&T and they indicated that they are aware of the issues and that the "appropriate parties" are working on the issue. Whatever that means. I wonder if the Leap Second issue last night caused network timing issues?

Jul 1, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Peterpw

Good to know people across the country are having same problems as well.

Everything worked this morning, but it seemed like after 12pm EST Siri and Maps stopped working. I figured it was my iPhone acting stupid again so I did all the same as you guys did (reboot, turn things on and off). Problem occurred on iOS 8.3, I even upgraded to iOS 8.4 and still problems. - It indeed does seem to be only AT&T because I checked with a couple friends who are on Verizon and their services worked.

Jul 1, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Peterpw

Same issue here, iPad Mini 3, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, all on 8.4, all on AT&T.

Siri, maps, etc work on wifi, but do not work on cellular data. Using the wifi hotspot on an Android phone (with AT&T), Siri works fine, using Personal Hotspot on any of the iDevices with other iDevices, Siri fails. In addition to Siri and maps, App Store doesn't want to download apps, and voice dictionation is not working.

Also it's intermittent for me. Half the time, Siri seems to work for a while on cellular data after turning off Wifi, but after a few minutes it stops.

Siri checks for network connectivity BEFORE giving you the talk beep signal (otherwise you get a visual message "Siri not available. Connect to the Internet"). In this case Siri initially believes that there is connectivity, so it will accept the voice command, but then seems to be timing out while relaying the command to Apple for processing.

Cellular data not working for Siri, Maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.