Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add album artwork manually, in 12.2.

Is anyone else having trouble manually adding album artwork, since version 12.2.x.x of iTunes for Mac? I have created a basic PNG like always and have tried both drag and dropping the art onto the Artwork panel, in the Info dialog for a song, as well as clicking the Add Artwork button, navigating to the image, and selecting it. Both methods appear to update the Artwork panel in the Info dialog, but the artwork simply disappears after clicking OK.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:00 PM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 3:57 AM in response to panda attack

Something weird going on with Artwork...

I too have vast majority of albums now displaying as no artwork. I created a smart playlist to help identify and this pulled in albums where the artwork is ok as well as the albums I was expecting to see. Wrong looked like smart playlist was busted!

I attempted to add a new random image in to the 'get info>artwork' tab and saved it .... True enough it worked as expected and now displayed artwork...albeit the wrong image. I then deleted the artwork and saved again.... hey presto the correct "missing" artwork was now restored. Weird!!!

Time consuming and a real pain in the you know what. Another case for Apple feedback.

Hope it helps.

Jul 2, 2015 10:20 AM in response to panda attack

I just discovered the cause of my issue with the artwork not saving with the album. It turns out that the songs in question were in WAV format, not AAC. I actually had no recollection that these had never been re-saved in a compressed format. I did read in the iTunes documentation, that you could only save artwork with compressed formats like AAC or MP3. So that was the issue for me. I hope this helps someone else with a similar problem. Just inspect the info for a given track, and in the Info dialog, check the File panel to ensure that the format is not an uncompressed format.

Jul 9, 2015 11:09 PM in response to panda attack

If you would like to listen to lossless music [Eg. WAV] and still retain the album art, you could just add a lossy version of a song [Eg. MP3] and rename it to the album you want to add the artwork to, and add the artwork to the MP3 song and all the WAV songs with the same album will have that artwork. But if you delete the MP3 with the said artwork, those WAV songs will lose the artwork. Hope this helps.

Can't add album artwork manually, in 12.2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.