Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xsan 4: Re-Image MDCs

I have been trying to follow the guides to upgrade MDCs but every time I do the controller that used to be the primary can't join the XSAN as a controller or as a replica for OD. The servers are completely out of wack and to the point that when I promote one controller to OD master, the old master thinks it is still the master. There are two sets of host names for the same machine. My question is, if I just wipe the machines out and try creating new Xsan volumes with the currently configured san. Will I wipe all the data even though the Metadata Lun is intact?

Also was trying to add an ODM just as that but can't get it to join the OD.

Xserve, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 3:27 PM

1 reply

Jul 1, 2015 8:03 PM in response to redtech13

DO NOT create new volumes. You will wipe data. Technically, you will only wipe the metadata, but that is effectively the same thing as destroying your data, because you will never be able to access any of your old files.

Yosemite wants the primary MDC to be the OD master. You would need to be able to make the primary MDC an OD replica, then promote the primary MDC to the OD master. Then you could then activate Xsan on the primary MDC, and then activate it on your secondary MDC(s). Alternatively, if you still have your pre-upgrade OSs bootable, you could use Xsan Admin to change the "primary MDC" role over to your OD master, then do the Yosemite upgrade.

Verify you are running 10.10.4 and Server 4.1.3 which just came out, both on the OD master and the primary MDC. Also make sure you have configured DNS. Check /Library/Logs/slapconfig.log and /var/log/system.log to see more info about the replication failure, both on the OD master and replica.

Xsan 4: Re-Image MDCs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.