Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hiding apps in purchase history

in the App Store, if you swipe a purchased item to the right, an option to hide the app comes up. If you select that, the app is hidden. But it reappears a few seconds later? What on earth is the point of the "hide" option? Is there some way to make it work for more than a few seconds?

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:48 PM

You need to hide them via your computer's iTunes : Hide and unhide purchases in the iTunes Store - Apple Support (the 'x' that should show on the app's top left corner might not show, but clicking where it should be should still hide the app)

13 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:33 AM in response to King_Penguin

I'll try that again.

But, what is the purpose of the Hide option that appears in the App Store page on the iPad?

I've tried going into iTunes and hiding the apps there. As you suggested there is never an x in the upper right corner. I have never associated this iPad with iTunes on a Mac (and Apple made a point of saying you didn't need to any more), so will that make a difference?

Jul 2, 2015 9:02 AM in response to bayswater

There is a bug with hiding them on iPads.

For doing via your computer's iTunes, see my above post - it's the top left corner, the 'x' is invisible, but clicking there should hide it. It doesn't matter whether you've connected the iPad to that computer, you are using your Mac to hide them from the cloud for your account, not the device. To get to Purchased either go to the Purchased link under Quick Links on the right-hand side of the store homepage, or click on your name/icon towards the top right of the iTunes screen :

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2015 10:05 AM in response to King_Penguin

I used the quick link in the lower right in iTunes, went to iPad, all, and hid a load of apps as per your instructions. They are no longer shown. Did the same for iPhone. Going back to the iPad the apps I removed in iTunes are still showing. I tried the local hide option on the iPad again, but as before the app hides, then comes back the next time the screen is scrolled. I'm on the latest OS X, iTunes and iPad updates. Is there some other sync step or something that has to be done? Is there some iCloud option that has to be set? This is staring to feel a lot like Windows.

Jul 2, 2015 10:15 AM in response to bayswater

After hiding it on your computer's iTunes you shouldn't need to do anything on your iPad and/or iPhone, it should hide the app from wherever you are using that account (you are using the same account on your computer and iPad/iPhone ?). When I tried it this morning in response to another thread, as I hid an app on my Mac's iTunes it disappeared within seconds from the Purchased tab in the App Store app on my iPad.

Try logging out of your account on your iPad by tapping on your id at the bottom of the Featured tab in the App Store app, close the App Store app via the iPad's taskbar, and then re-open the app and log back in and see if they still show in Purchased.

Nov 3, 2015 8:02 AM in response to Applereluctant

Applereluctant wrote:

I'm not a fan of the permanent trace you get with iPhone and Apple.

Apple is not unique in that they keep records of their business. Most companies you buy from keep records of the sale. I suspect federal accounting laws may even require it. Your cell phone company keeps records not only of the service you paid them for but of the individual calls.

Nov 3, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Applereluctant

Applereluctant wrote:

I'm having this same problem. Purchased apps is empty and they are still showing on my iPhone. I'm not a fan of the permanent trace you get with iPhone and Apple.

Try asking your credit card company to remove a charge record from your bill or your online view of it. Or your cellular carrier. Both of them sell your purchase history also, and provide it to government agencies. Apple, at least, does not do either of those.

hiding apps in purchase history

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.