Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to know how often I should let an iPad battery drain completely before recharging

recharging iPad battery -- when to do this

iPad Air, iOS 8, has a different Apple ID

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 4:41 PM

4 replies

Jul 1, 2015 5:49 PM in response to carolspecmtn

carolspecmtn wrote:

recharging iPad battery -- when to do this

Don't let the battery totally drain before you recharge it. That's not a good practice or habit to get into with the iPad battery. Deep discharges are not good for the battery. I plug my iPad into charge every night and let it charge. I have done this with all three of my iPads and I have always gotten the 9-10 hours of expected barpttery life that Apple claims the device will get.

This isn't knock on anybody, but I never understood why people make such a big deal of when to charge or not charge the battery. Just plug the iPad into the charger every night when you are done using it. I don't get what is so difficult about doing that. Make it part of your daily routine.

Jul 1, 2015 6:07 PM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

I never understood why people make such a big deal of when to charge or not charge the battery. Just plug the iPad into the charger every night when you are done using it. I don't get what is so difficult about doing that. Make it part of your daily routine.

Maybe it was due to the older NiCad battery technology some grew up with (like me) and/or hearing stories about how these older batteries got their usage diminished & even ruined because of not letting them drain fully before recharging. This kinda stuff can get embedded into us...but those past rules many times no longer apply to the newer technologies always confronting us.

Jul 1, 2015 6:24 PM in response to SergZak

I suppose that you are correct. It sure makes sense. But since the iPad never had the NiCad battery and I was "trained" differently, I have never gotten into that habit. Apple used to recommend the once a month battery drain in order to calibrate the battery guage, but I haven't done that since I quit using my iPad original when I got en iPad 3.

I charge my iPad Air 2 every night. I use my iPad at work and when I get home, I set the iPad on my computer desk, plug the device into charge and head upstairs for dinner. If I spend the evening in the game room where my desk is, I use the device while it is charging. That's what I am doing now as I sit here and type my response.

I need to know how often I should let an iPad battery drain completely before recharging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.