Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud removed and 4s reset, duirng new setup, still informed that phone is linked to Apple ID, how come?

iCloud account was removed from my iPhone 4s and then the phone was reset (Erase All Contents & Settings). After reset, during the new setup, it informed that the iPhone is linked to Apple ID and still needs Apple ID to continue. How come? Or what could be the possible reasons?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 5:57 PM

12 replies

Jul 1, 2015 6:06 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ya, I know that can be simply resolved. But I am curious that if iCloud was removed in the first place, and upon reset, the Iphone should not prompt me for an Apple ID.

If this is the case, then how am I going to sell off my phone when Apple ID is always needed upon a reset.

In the first place, how could it be possible that my Apple ID is needed in the first place upon a reset unless my iCloud account is there, but in this case, it is not. This is what I am curious about.

Jul 1, 2015 7:43 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I did reset else the iphone will not be taking me to the setup screen.

I read the link which you given me, if iCloud is not removed, during reset, I will be prompted to key in my password else a reset will not be able to carry out.

In this case, the iCloud password prompt did not happen because obviously my iCloud was removed in the first place and thus I can do a reset.

As such, iCloud was removed, phone then reset, which means, the phone is cleaned and should not informed that its still linked to an Apple ID.

I had actually sold off the phone and reset it on the spot but this guy kept insisting that my Apple ID Is still needed. It seems like a prank now or a switch of my phone.

Oct 29, 2015 5:54 AM in response to CSW2711

The OS requires you to login to your account to access anything on your iPhone. You will always be asked for your Apple ID which is needed for access to the iTunes store, etc. If you are selling the phone, just go into the Settings app > Reset > Reset all content & settings. This will fully erase your iPhone safe for transferring to another party. It's not just erasing a directory, it will wipe everything, which is why it takes a while.

iCloud removed and 4s reset, duirng new setup, still informed that phone is linked to Apple ID, how come?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.