Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2: missing info in Authors view for audiobooks

This appears to be a bug in 12.2. Selecting Books > My Audiobooks and then selecting Authors from the dropdown at the top right of the screen shows two panes:

• left: list of authors
  • right: blank

User uploaded file

Selecting an author in the left pane updates the item count, etc. in the status bar but does not - as would be expected - show that author's books in the right hand pane. Can anyone confirm this so that it can be reported as a bug?

iPod nano (7th generation), Windows 7

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:13 PM

34 replies

Jul 6, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Web300m

The iTunes 12.2 version worked fine on my Macbook Pro and Mac Mini until the 12.2.0.145 update. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone and screen sharing with an Apple Senior Tech. They have seen the problem first hand as of the day that the update was released and said that it would be addressed. They know that it is a program problem, not my library's problem.The problem gets even more mysterious than just the artwork display. If you select an author who has only one book in your library and right click, you will see that you are given the opportunity to play that particular book. The book title is displayed when you right click. Now select an author with more that one book in your library and right click. My library doe not display the title if there is more than one book, but I am given the choice to "play" something. iTunes seems to know that the books are there and know if there is more than one related to an author, which it should. It seems to me that the update version was not thouroghly tested before being released. If it had been, the problem would not exist. As a lay person it would seem to me that the procedure ("code") for displaying the artwork for an audiobook should not be any different than that of displaying the artwork for an album, other than telling the program to look in a different place to get it, but then, I am just a user letting logic cloud the issue.

Jul 7, 2015 2:24 AM in response to Web300m

I can concur that Web300m's points about playing from the left Author list is correct and the whole issue is clearly one with the code and not with individuals.

Hopefully the fact the problem is not "just on windows" as Apple support suggested to me will see more effort into getting a quick fix but I am not holding my breath for a speedy outcome - 7 months for the last issue I reported to them after an update screwed something up that was always working just fine.

I have been promised feedback from Apple Tech Support by Thursday morning. If I get any positive news I will share there.

Jul 8, 2015 8:09 AM in response to elcid42

I have had my promised call back from Apple's Support Team in Ireland.

Good news is they have managed to replicate the issue across differing platforms and as such accept there is a problem. The bad news is they are not willing to give any indication of a estimated timescale for a fix. I have voiced my disapproval at this and have been advised that "this is the process and they can do no more".

Jul 8, 2015 8:14 AM in response to elcid42

No surprise, Apple rarely give advance notification of software updates. Since this issue doesn't affect functionality (you can still browse, select and play audiobooks in other views) this has almost certainly been categorized as a minor or even cosmetic issue, for which a fix will be included in the next scheduled release. No software development organization would commit to a patch build to fix this type of issue more quickly.

Jul 8, 2015 9:16 AM in response to IronDoors

Your choice, of course, but don't forget that many users will have upgraded to 12.2 to use Apple Music, and reverting to 12.1 won't help them. Also, dropping support for XP and Vista, and the use of the phrase "Windows 7 or later" in the 12.2 requirements could be taken as an indication that 12.2 or later will be required for users upgrading to Windows 10. Lastly, with iOS 9 around the corner users of iOS devices may be required to use the latest version of iTunes to take advantage of it. For those without those concerns, however, sticking with or rolling back to 12.1 may be a good choice; 12.2 offers no new functionality, as well as some new minor but annoying bugs, for those not interested in Apple Music.

Jul 8, 2015 10:15 AM in response to hhgttg27

I can't see nothing strange in fact that XP meet end off support. Many users, that use Apple music, not only don't listen audiobooks, but don't read paper books - that is a fact. Regarding OS version ... I'm tired to say "WOW" and make big eyes when Apple or MS make something new (as they think).

The world stay the same: U need speak with friends, read books and listen music, have great time with family... I have no satisfaction from extra perfect pressing keyboard or touchscreen, I must do that stupid movement couse generation of devices changing.

Is it true that Apple music - completely different music? Or someone whose ears stick out from Cupertino and Redmond, trying to bind to something usual and standard? I do not believe that thrifty people sleep and see how to get the opportunity to quickly and smarter spend the money.

The same situation in world of OS. I think that this error is not an accident, and was made deliberately to force the switch to the new device and new OS. Each time before changing generation devices Apple launches "last update" turns the good working device into lazy slow brick.

I'm still using MacBook Pro, reading books from iPad Mini, calling iPhone, but more often look to Android devices - less upgrade - longer life!

Jul 8, 2015 1:39 PM in response to IronDoors

• As noted above, Apple support have confirmed that this is a bug - nothing "deliberate". In any case, how can a minor bug in a new release be part of a nefarious scheme to force people to adopt that release?
  • All technology companies work on the principle of planned obsolescence - their business model is based on selling stuff, what else do you expect?
  • I have no interest in Apple Music (or any streaming service) but I'm not going to denigrate those who do; iTunes users span a very wide demographic. Listening to audiobooks doesn't make you in any way "superior" to other users.

As I said, some users may be best served by sticking to iTunes 12.1. Others are equally entitled to use 12.2, expect that it is free of obvious bugs, and that any that do exist are fixed in a timely manner.

iTunes 12.2: missing info in Authors view for audiobooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.