Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iCloud Photo Library be backed up in iTunes Backup?

I sync and do backups of my iPhone 4s only to my PC/ through iTunes. Recently, my phone as automatically turned on the "iCloud Photo Library" in order to "optimize iPhone storage". Though I currently do not have a problem with this, I am getting a new iPhone soon so I am worried my photos will not be included in my iTunes backup (since it is part of iCloud) to transfer to my new phone.

Also, if I try to turn iCloud Photo Library off, it says "This iPhone was not able to download 796 full resolution photos and videos. If you continue, the low resolution versions of the photos and videos will be removed." What does this mean? If I continue to turn it off, will my photos be deleted?

HELP!

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:12 PM

2 replies

Jun 2, 2017 3:14 PM in response to vyhanh

iTunes (and iCloud) backups include only the images currently in your Camera Roll (accessed via the Camera app).

iCloud Photo Library is not a backup service (although it provides that functionality to a degree). It's a syncing service that provides access to all your images on all your services. Your primary storage location should continue to be your photo-management software on your computer. If it's a Mac, enable iCPM in Photos and select to keep full-resolution copies there. On your devices, you can select to keep only "optimized" copies. You can turn iCPL off, just make sure all your images are on your computer. Preferred way is to keep a local, on-device, optimized Library. Optimization is an active process and the size of your local library will be reduced if you need more storage for other files.

iMore has a very detailed, well illustrated article on iCloud Photo Library:

http://www.imore.com/how-use-icloud-photo-library-ultimate-guide

Will iCloud Photo Library be backed up in iTunes Backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.