Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charge MacBook with external battery

Can the MacBook be charged with a Mophie or Mophie-clone?

I have a 2012 15.4" MBP & I almost get a hernia when I pick up the backpack. I'm looking for something lighter. I can't decide between a 13" MacBook Air or the new Macbook. I'll need a bunch of adapter cables!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:19 PM

5 replies

Jul 1, 2015 10:11 PM in response to macnerd48

You are only talking about 2 lbs max there is no way this enough weight to cause a hernia. I would suggest you empty some of the weight from your backpack. I am personally not a big fan of the Air.

http://www.mophie.com/shop/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwn86sBRDroPiR0LrSzNYBEiQAzOaSYEOeYhl_wE ikv_ekwO3d-nQ0lcxQgWJXpXdDaWd2NMAaAiv48P…

If I read correctly this Mophie is pretty much for Phones and some pads it does not mention iPad.

So you may want to do a little more research.

Cheers and Good Luck

Don Morgan

Jul 2, 2015 4:21 AM in response to Donald Morgan

I have a 2012 15.4" MBP & I almost get a hernia when I pick up the backpack.

According to the specifications I found on the Apple website, the 2012 15" MacBook Pro weighs 5.6 pounds. https://.apple.com/kb/SP694?locale=en_USI

That's why I'm looking for something lighter.

I'm referring to the new MacBook with Retina display with the USB-C connector. The websites refer to it as the new MacBook Air.

Since it uses a USB-C connector for charging, I was wondering if a Mophie or Mophie-clone can be connected to the MacBook with an adapter cable & either charge it or maintain the charge level.

Why aren't you a fan of the Air? I've noticed that the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina display is only about a half pound heavier than the 13" Air. And the Pro is about 2 pounds lighter than my 15" MBP.

Jul 3, 2015 2:35 AM in response to macnerd48

Charging you do with a mains cable to the battery inside the Macbook.

If the battery is dead, you can take it out and still do your work when you are connected to the mains.

But you can not connect to a battery outside when when you do not have a battery in it (because the charging port is not capable of that.

The ony (theoretical) possibility is taking out the battery and make an elongation cable between the battery and the connector inside: a ridiculous idea. For good operation the Macbook body has to be closed !

Jul 3, 2015 4:26 AM in response to Donald Morgan

Because there is NO CD-or DVD PLAYER.

Well, that's true. The 13" MacBook Pro non-Retina has a built-in optical drive. When I bought my 15" non-Retina laptop, I chose it because I didn't want to pay extra for the Retina display. Now I want the Retina display. My Mac mini doesn't come with an internal optical drive so I bought an external Superdrive & it sits on top of the mini. So, I may buy an external superdrive to carry with the 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

Charge MacBook with external battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.