Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 7 not booting in bootcamp after yosemite (different?)

I just recently upgraded to Yosemite from Mavericks (Macbook Pro 15" retina late 2013).

I have a windows 7 partition I had created under Mavericks Boot Camp Assistant.

I can access it and run it under VMWare Fusion, but I can not seem to Boot the whole computer to it via bootcamp anymore.

When I boot holding down Option key, the Win7 partition shows up. I select it and it starts to boot. The screen shows the graphic of the 4 dots coming together to make the windows flag. The flag comes together and pulses slowly, but nothing ever happens after this. I have absolutely no clue what to do to make it finish booting up natively anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas here please?

Many Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:33 PM

38 replies

Jul 5, 2017 9:05 AM in response to elfsv

I had into this issue as well after having repartitioned my Mac volumes a few times.

I was able to solve this quite quickly, after realizing what happened, see here: http://blog.tempel.org/2017/07/recover-lost-bootcamp-windows.html

Basically, one needs to re-add a partition entry to the Windows partition in the MBR at block 0 on the disk. Apple's Disk Utility seems to overwrite that occasionally.

Jul 1, 2015 8:08 PM in response to Loner T

Safe mode appears to hang after the line:

Loaded: \Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS

No third party NTFS software, no external storage attached.

It looks like the windows repair option won't work because it wants the disk (i have the dvd, and the external usb drive, but they don't seem to work by themselves with windows7 booting? or at least I can't figure out how..)

Thanks so much for the advice

Jul 1, 2015 8:54 PM in response to Loner T

I tried booting the macbook pro from the win7 install disk, and it seems to load up to the first screen where it wants me to use the keyboard/mouse to select to confirm language, etc, but the keyboard and trackpad won't work...

I tried plugging in an old apple mouse, but then it won't even boot completely off the DVD.. somewhere it just stops and says there was a problem, and asks if i want to boot normally (hangs like booting off the win7 bootcamp partition) or do the repair (tells me to boot off the DVD, which I am) - so that doesn't work.

I tried the command line system file checker through a fusion boot into safe mode terminal and that works.

In fact a safe mode boot works through fusion, after that last line of CLASSPNP.SYS it goes into safe mode just fine.

I can't seem to figure out how to do the repair mode/option with it booted through fusion.. running setup.exe off the dvd does not seem to give me that option, rather wants to take me straight through an install, which Im not sure is a good idea..

😟

Jul 1, 2015 9:10 PM in response to elfsv

Are the Keyboard/Trackpad wireless? In your case, the USB installer that BC Assistant built is what you need to boot from. The DVD will not work because it does not have the Preboot Environment that you need. BCA creates this by putting appropriate drivers in $WinPEDriver$ directory which the DVD does not have.

Do not use Fusion, because it has its own BIOS environment, which can make things worse.

Jul 1, 2015 11:09 PM in response to Loner T

Great ideas! But same results (!?!?!?)

i made a completely new installer with BCA and a win7 ISO just now, - thought that would let me in to the repair, but same behavior.. It gets to the first install windows screen where I first need to select language, time format, keyboard language, and hit next - but once again the keyboard and trackpad (the ones on the MacBook Pro itself) won't let me input at all. No mouse cursor, keyboard does nothing (no tab control or anything)..

i booted again off the BCA install USB but this time in safe mode for the installer..and same thing.. No keyboard or mouse. plugging in an external USB mouse doesn't do anything either.. I just don't get it. Argh!!

Jul 2, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Loner T

I actually realized the 3.0/2.0 and win7 issue last night as I was digging for information, and sure enough, I was using a 3.0 because i had been impatient on the speed. I went back to the 2.0 "Tron" drive I was trying to use but for some reason I still can't fathom, it still didn't work. Curious how mine would show up in the system information compared to yours I noticed that the arrangement of my USB tree appears slightly different. Here is a screenshot of the "Tron" drive that also didn't work. By comparison the 3.0 drive I used appeared under the SuperSpeed Bus instead. I'm a little puzzled why I do not have a plain USB High Speed Bus listed(with internal devices like the isight, etc), and wonder if this is somehow causing it.. But then what about could have changed to make it stop working(?) I used the bootcamp boot of this partition on occasion prior with no problem. It's just not making sense 😟

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Loner T

I did the PRAM last night, but not the SMC.

Just now I reset both, twice each to be sure.

Same result, no keyboard or trackpad.

I also dug out an old usb keyboard from another system and tried that. I used it at the mac boot menu to select the Cruzer to boot from, the setup loaded, presented me with the first screen, and of course the external keyboard doesn't work anymore at this point. Same for the built in keyboard and trackpad.

windows 7 not booting in bootcamp after yosemite (different?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.