Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

whats a good replacement for Claris Works Appleworks type word processor?

I have a MacBook Pro and have downloaded iA WRITER but it cant change fonts, type sizes, colour or layout.

Like set up for envelopes or custom sheet sizes.

The wife has a newe iMac and wonders which one from the apps shop. Me too.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:57 PM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2015 6:36 AM in response to NZDoug

Pages v5.5.3 and Numbers v3.5 on Yosemite cannot open AppleWorks documents. They are also horribly limited applications in comparison to the previous Pages '09 and Numbers '09 applications.

There is a free version of LibreOffice now in the OS X App Store named LibreOffice Vanilla (v4.4.4.4) that requires Mountain Lion or later. I found its ability to double-click, or drag/drop an icon onto it — failed to open the document. It must be done via the Open File… menu item. Thefree LibreOffice, downloaded directly from the Document Foundation, does not have these limitations, and unlike LibreOffice Vanilla, will also allow PDF documents dropped on the application icon to be edited. Visit the Get Help menu on their website for current documentation.

It has the ability to open ClarisWorks/AppleWorks v5/6 documents from Mac and Windows, providing they are word processing, or spreadsheet. Some graphic content, and Database content will open. The latter will loose all cell attributes if it can be opened at all.

whats a good replacement for Claris Works Appleworks type word processor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.