Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Independently muting tracks that are playing the same software inst. (Logic Pro 9.1.8 and X)

This is from the Logic Pro X User Guide regarding the "New Track With Same Channel" command. It's almost exactly the same wording as in Logic Pro 9, which I'm using. My issue is with the bold, underlined portion (emphasis is mine).

"When you create a new track using the New Tracks dialog, a new channel strip for the track is also created. In some situations, however, you may want to create tracks that use existing channel strips.

For example, when using an EXS24 mkII with a drum kit loaded, you may want to send multiple tracks, with MIDI regions that trigger individual drum sounds, to the channel strip on which the EXS24 mkII is inserted. Having a separate track for each sound allows you to independently mute or solo sounds in the kit. If you use a multi-output version of the EXS24 mkII, you can process each sound in the drum kit with different effects."

How is this done? In Logic Pro 9, and from what I've read about Logic Pro X, muting or soloing one track affects all of them. Logic Pro X added a Power Button per track that effectively accomplishes this, but that seems like a kludge to use it in this manner. My understanding is that muting the channel strip in the Mixer or Inspector would mute all of the tracks but muting the individual tracks in the Arrange Window would mute that track only.

In the manual's EXS24 example, each drum sound would be assigned to a different key and be triggered by a different track, negating the need for multiple MIDI channels. If I have a kick, snare, hats, shaker and congas playing on 5 different tracks and I want to mute the congas, I can't do it without muting everything else.

The way I compose, I may have the software synth sound I want but be stuck on a melody or bassline and want to switch between 5 or 6 variations. There's no good way to do this in Logic Pro 9. The only way I can think of is to use the Mute and Solo Tools to mute the regions in the arrange window.

This is aggravating because the instructions imply this is doable. I disliked Cubase for many reasons but it made accomplishing this task super easy. Why would you go through the trouble of setting up multiple tracks for one instrument if you couldn't mute or solo them independently of each other? Even if there were a case where it would be desirable, how is that the preferred and only behavior instead of a toggle switch? Am I missing something? What does the sentence I have underlined mean if it doesn't mean what I think it does?

Please help. Thanks.

Logic Pro 9.1.8

Mid-2010 Mac Pro, 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Xeon, 24 GB RAM

OS X 10.9.5

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:09 PM

In Logic 9, you have to change the preference I have pictured below (Track Mute to 'slow response)

User uploaded file

In Logic X, you instead show the on/off button in the track header and turn the lanes on or off.

Alternatively, you could find the preference to select all regions on track select, and just use the key command for "mute regions."

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 10:09 PM in response to mindroot

In Logic 9, you have to change the preference I have pictured below (Track Mute to 'slow response)

User uploaded file

In Logic X, you instead show the on/off button in the track header and turn the lanes on or off.

Alternatively, you could find the preference to select all regions on track select, and just use the key command for "mute regions."

Jul 2, 2015 5:10 AM in response to seeren

Thanks seeren. I now remember setting this to "Fast" years ago but didn't remember what affect it had on the mute/solo states. It doesn't help that the Search for Logic Pro 9 Help isn't returning any results, locally or online. Without benefit of search results, I tried looking through the sections on creating tracks as well as various windows and menus in Logic but, without knowing where to look, I couldn't find it.

Independently muting tracks that are playing the same software inst. (Logic Pro 9.1.8 and X)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.