Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My download speed is slow on only one computer

Upgraded my pitifully slow AT&T service to a still pitiful, albeit slightly faster service today. My wife's iMac is downloading at almost the max speed - 18gbps. However, my iMac is downloading at approximately half that - 9 to 10gbps. Our upload speed is the same on both - approximately 1.8 to 2.0gbps. Using Speedtest.net to check the speeds. I updated my software tonight to see if that would help, so I'm now running 10.10.4 OS X Yosemite, but that didn't speed things up at all.

I don't understand what is holding this computer back. My wife's iMac is twice as fast, so I know something is wrong with this one.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

All the best,

Glenn

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:33 PM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

I checked the speed on that site you posted. My results were 10.11 download, 2.14 upload.

I started in recovery mode and chose the "Get Help Online" box. I then re-ran the speed check with the site you posted. My results were worse - 8.63 download, 2.07 upload.

I restarted as usual and rechecked it one more time using that same site. 10.42 download, 2.11 upload.

All the best,

Glenn

Jul 2, 2015 1:27 PM in response to Linc Davis

I might have figured it out, but now I need to figure out what to do. I didn't have hard-wired (CAT 5) internet connectivity upstairs, and my WiFi signal is weak sometimes up there, so my service tech hooked up the computer that is currently giving me problems with PlugLink Asoka plugs. My friend told me to take my computer downstairs and hook it directly to the modem to test if the Asoka plugs would be the issue. It very well may be.

Plugged directly into the back of the modem, I'm now getting 25.02 download and 2.21 upload (I'm paying for 18mbps service, and I was told upload was going to be "between 1.5 and 2 mbps". So I'm good if I'm hooked to the modem. Better than advertised. I tried using both cables that were being used in the Asoka plugs (modem to Asoka, and Asoka to computer), just to check if that was the issue. Both gave me similar good speeds. So it may be the plugs themselves.

My wife's computer, as I just found out, was giving me 18.56 download / 1.98 upload while using wireless connectivity only. It's not even plugged into the modem and it's faster than my computer is upstairs wired with the Asoka plugs.

So now I know what is causing the slow speeds. But I don't know what to do to fix it.

With the computer back in place upstairs, and on a final hunch, I ran the following tests again:

I disconnected the Asoka plugs and ran WiFi only - 10.4 download / 2.12 upload

Then I checked the other way - Asoka's connected, turned off WiFi - 10.35 download / 2.11 upload

So... Is my problem simply "distance", or can something else be causing this? Running a CAT 5 cable this far from computer to modem is out of the question.

Thanks for the help.

All the best,

Glenn

My download speed is slow on only one computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.