Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 - why the little hearts?

Popping up all over the UI ... no mousetip hint or other indication what they're for. Did Apple use a focus group of 10 year old girls to help with the UI design?

iPod nano (7th generation), Windows 7

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:19 PM

8 replies

Jul 2, 2015 2:46 AM in response to hhgttg27

Apparently, it's a "love" symbol...

User uploaded file

... but quite how it differs from the star rating, ???

I'll take a stab at it - perhaps it's so we can share our love of a song with the entire universe!

I won't be taking part. I have removed the icon from my views.

There do appear to be a few idiosyncrasies with the iTunes 12.2. The Playlist banner, a subject on which you commented in another thread, is very inconsistent. There seems to be two methods of displaying the Playlists but with no option to switch the view of a particular Playlist to the alternative view.

Jul 2, 2015 3:22 AM in response to fourfourfun

There was a element of rhetoric and a sizeable lump of of sarcasm in my reply, don't take it too seriously.

To those of us who have been collecting music for many years, the heart suggests that I am supposed to like what other people love, rather than make up my own mind. Call me a Luddite (if you must wish), but I'm happy with the old method and I appreciate what hhgttg (all 27 of him/her) is saying!

😉

Jul 2, 2015 3:38 AM in response to the fiend

Under Edit > Preferences > General > Ratings you can choose Stars, Loves, or Stars & Loves.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment I don't really use ratings that much, not least because the task of properly rating my entire library is too daunting but also because my relative preference for one album over another is somewhat indeterminate. The binary nature of liking or loving something may suit some people better.

tt2

Jul 2, 2015 4:20 AM in response to the fiend

I just wish that - as with several other features whose use is optional - it could be turned off completely. In normal usage, I don't go near Songs view, so the ability to remove the column doesn't help. If it is part of the Apple Music service, I don't have any desire at all to use that and have disabled it - surely any UI features associated with it should then be suppressed? Lastly, if its an extension to Ratings, then I don't use that either ... or, rather, I have a very simple rating system: good music, which I have in my iTunes library, and bad music, which I don't 😉

iTunes 12.2 - why the little hearts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.