Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie shows video on screen, but does not save import

I am trying to digitize my old 8MM camcorder tapes. I have a newer Sony Handycam that uses DV tapes, and it has worked very well for importing into iMovie. I read how you can use the DV camcorder as a passthrough analog to digital device by using an AV cable from the older 8mm camcorder and inputing it into the dock of the newer DV camcorder.

I got everything hooked up and it looked very encouraging. I saw the video from the 8MM camcorder on the LCD screen of the DV camcorder and the video and audio show up on the import screen of iMovie.

I select the import button and it shows recording and the timer starts ticking.

When I select stop importing, it is as if nothing happened. There is no saved video.

I can see and hear the video fine. The DV camcorder shows up as a device that is recognized. Everything looks like it is working, but there is no video actually saved.

I saw some support articles where this thing happened when people were moving to iMovie'11. I am using iMovie 10.0.8 and Yosemite.

Any ideas?

iMovie 10, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:56 PM

I did a little more searching through the thread and found the answer. The old 8MM does not have the necessary time encoding to let it import into iMovie.

Solution, that I just tested and worked, is to capture the video importing using Quicktime, save the movie, and then import from file into iMovie.

Wished I had found this earlier, been banging my head against the wall for hours. Thanks to those who figured this out before.

DV to iMovie.. Image shown, import doesn't work

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 8:56 PM in response to loddy35

I did a little more searching through the thread and found the answer. The old 8MM does not have the necessary time encoding to let it import into iMovie.

Solution, that I just tested and worked, is to capture the video importing using Quicktime, save the movie, and then import from file into iMovie.

Wished I had found this earlier, been banging my head against the wall for hours. Thanks to those who figured this out before.

DV to iMovie.. Image shown, import doesn't work

iMovie shows video on screen, but does not save import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.