Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Directories Sharing among Airport Extreme

Hello Guys,

I just bought Airport Extreme couple days ago and replaced my old router(ASUS-N16)

But I found something I can't solve. I will describe below.

=============================================

I had one PC(installed Windows 7) for File Server (sharing Folder in LAN) and another one PC(installed Windows 7) for daily uses.

before upgrade , the file sharing on File Server is working fine.

After upgrading to Airport Extreme the sharing function is not working even though I try to enter \\192.168.1.X\ in another PC.

But it is working fine with my Macbook Air using command like smb://192.168.1.X.

Did anyone encounter this problem?? how do I solve it??

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Airport Extreme

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 12:21 AM

The airport is clearly working otherwise it would fail on the MBA as well.

I presume the internet is working on OK on both computers??

Install airport utility for windows.. as this helps with Apple router now controlling the network.

But windows and apple routers have a long standing dispute..

It is quite likely windows views the apple router as foreign and therefore dangerous and has autonomously chosen to exclude access to the local lan..

Please check that your windows computers are both still located in Home area.. under networking.. not work not public.

Also if you need to, turn off the firewall in windows.. as that can also prevent access.

After upgrading to Airport Extreme the sharing function is not working even though I try to enter \\192.168.1.X\ in another PC.

Open a command window and ping the other PC by name and by IP address.. does it respond??

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 12:21 AM in response to chenchunyen

The airport is clearly working otherwise it would fail on the MBA as well.

I presume the internet is working on OK on both computers??

Install airport utility for windows.. as this helps with Apple router now controlling the network.

But windows and apple routers have a long standing dispute..

It is quite likely windows views the apple router as foreign and therefore dangerous and has autonomously chosen to exclude access to the local lan..

Please check that your windows computers are both still located in Home area.. under networking.. not work not public.

Also if you need to, turn off the firewall in windows.. as that can also prevent access.

Open a command window and ping the other PC by name and by IP address.. does it respond??

Jul 2, 2015 3:40 AM in response to chenchunyen

NAT has nothing to do with the local LAN.. NAT is totally to do with routing from WAN to LAN or visa versa..

As long as both computer have IP in the same range and same vlan then everything should work.

Are both computers using wired or wireless connections?

If you are having issues with one try the other.. although 99% of network issues are to do with wireless.

Certainly if one is on wireless and the other is on ethernet.. move both to ethernet.. or both to wireless. Do not use guest wireless.. but I doubt ping would work if you did.

Windows Directories Sharing among Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.