Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting to install os x snow leopard 10.6.3. Onto a blank owc ssd

Help! Hahaha

I Have a mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro

So my computer has been slowly dying and I decided to give it new life but boosting the RAM (8 to 16) and upgrading to a ssd (owc mecury extreme pro 6g 480gb.)

I have all of my files backed up and I am looking to start fresh. I in the process of moving twice lost my initial instal disks so I purchased the os x mountain lion 10.6.3 from apple. I proceeded to follow the steps to install but I keep getting stuck on the apple logo and the little spinning wheel never shows up. It has also been asking for me to connect to wifi before I can select the disk, when pressing alt/option upon start up, when I hold "c" upon start it just goes straight to the apple logo screen and the spinning circle never shows. Also at the screen, from either start, I can hear the disk stop spinning. I have been looking around the forms and tried all of the suggestions so far, but I do not have a lot of tech to do some of the more elaborate complex fixes (though if need be I am willing to look into getting some necessary.)

thank you for any help. And let me know if you need any more information.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:43 PM

First verify that the following link is indeed your MacBook Pro model, but according to this page at Everymac.com, ALL the mid-2012 15" MacBook Pros shipped with OS X 10.7.3 "Lion".

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.3- 15-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

If that's the case, OS X 10.6.3 is never going to install.

However, you should be able to redownload and install OS X 10.7 Lion with Command+R at startup, invoking Internet Recovery

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 8:43 PM in response to Mr_Goat

First verify that the following link is indeed your MacBook Pro model, but according to this page at Everymac.com, ALL the mid-2012 15" MacBook Pros shipped with OS X 10.7.3 "Lion".

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-2.3- 15-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

If that's the case, OS X 10.6.3 is never going to install.

However, you should be able to redownload and install OS X 10.7 Lion with Command+R at startup, invoking Internet Recovery

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Attempting to install os x snow leopard 10.6.3. Onto a blank owc ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.