Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.2 what happened to the downloads window?

I'm running Mavericks with all current updates applied, on a 13" MacBook Pro (2012). After I upgraded to iTunes 12.2 I went to download a previously purchased movie from the iTunes Store.

After selecting the movie I wanted to download from Purchases, I clicked on "Window" up in the iTunes menu bar, meaning to bring up the downloads window so I could track progress of the download (I have only a 3Mbps DSL connection) and discovered that now there's no such option in the Windows menu list. It just shows options to display the iTunes, Equalizer and Mini-Player windows .

So.. ?!? Is there some other way that info on in-progress downloads from the iTunes Store is presented now, and how do I access it?

I have not encountered other issues with the 12.2 upgrade so far. I have regular playlists, Smart ones and Genius ones and they all seem fine. All my tracks still appear to have the metadata I assigned to them. I don't use iTunes match and have not signed up for Apple Music so far, so some of the issues I have been heard about are not on my plate. Just need that missing downloads window or a way to find equivalent information on download progress. Any clues for me?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iTunes 12.2

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:24 PM

78 replies

Aug 27, 2017 7:09 AM in response to ElizaR

First off, itunes is gradually loosing everything that I loved about it in its attempt to become like its competitors. If I wanted the chaos of your competition then I'd buy from your competition. This is another perfect example. The lovely, clean, well organized window we used to know and love has been tossed in the bin where we can not retrieve it. However we can scrape by in a far less efficient way with whats left. When something is in your download que you will see a small icon/button of a downward pointing arrow. click that and you'll see a drop down menu style thing. This is a listing of each of your items in the download que. the same pause/refresh/x button we are used to shows up next to each. there is also a tiny circle that goes from grey to blue as your download progresses (as it does on a cell phone). there is also tiny print that is hard to focus your eyes on that tells you how much of the files is completed based on mb or whatever is most efficient. IF YOU SCROLL TO THE VERY BOTTOM of your que, you will find the check box for simultaneous downloads or single and the "pause all" button. I hope this helps at least a little and trust me when i tell you that I too am once again wondering how progress became defined as lets make things work less.

Aug 27, 2017 7:18 AM in response to ElizaR

I would delete my previous post but I don't know how. as soon as i posted I found another persons answer Moi-NoExpert and it isn't completely accurate but using it i was able to find what we are looking for. (all the info i gave before is still true but this is how to get the pop-out window)

ctrl+shift+3 or "view" then "show activity window" done

Jul 1, 2015 9:07 PM in response to ElizaR

It appears Apple has completely removed the progress bar from both software updates and downloading purchases from iTunes store.😕

I did a little test and downloaded a purchased item from the store. On the top right hand side we now get a circle with a down facing arrow.

User uploaded file

The circle spins while downloading but there is no indication how far along your download is.

Jul 1, 2015 9:20 PM in response to Sonnybet

Thank you! I found if you press on that arrow it gives details of the download including title, how much is down of the total, and how long estimated to conclude. Better than nothing (although there's no progress bar and I far preferred the option to bring up a window to monitor the downloads).

When I think about it, this change to an app that runs on my laptop strikes me as one more of those things that makes the OS version act more like something meant for the iOS version, i.e. getting rid of an extra window that was useful in the OS version but couldn't be produced in the iOS mode. Like before that, getting rid of ability to edit multiple playlists at once in separate windows on the OS version of iTunes. Maybe this works for Apple and maybe they see dumbing down the OS versions to iOS versions as the path to a future without desktops and laptops, but.... I'm not there yet and will have to be dragged there. I guess this is an example of getting dragged there! At least they still turn out the hardware for fans of laptops and desktops...

Jul 5, 2015 1:07 PM in response to ElizaR

This is another example of a supposed "improvement" that is in no way an improvement. It was always optional to bring up the download window and it was useful. The current approach does not show what has already been downloaded, it contains no progress bar, and it no longer has the simple click box option of having a single download or simultaneous downloads. Apple, bring back the download window. Of all the companies, you should understand the difference between OS and iOS. Stop making desktop operating systems work like iOS devices. Different devices, different purposes, different interfaces...duh.

iTunes 12.2 what happened to the downloads window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.