Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iTunes Match now iCloud Music Library?

I upgraded to Apple Music on both my iPhone and iTunes on my Mac, and now seems that iTunes Match has disappeared from the new version of iTunes.

I used to go to "Update iTunes Match" to sync any local files to the cloud, but now that no longer exists. Instead, I find "Update iCloud Music Library" which performs the same behavior.

This leads me to a second question: is iCloud Music Library included as a part of paying for Apple Music, and if so, will I be refunded for half of the year of iTunes Match that I already paid for in 2015?

Thanks for your help!

Macbook Pro

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:48 PM

The new Apple Music Service entitles you to a variety of features including full access to the iTunes

store and the ability to upload your existing music library into the cloud. If you are already a subscriber

to iTunes Match, your music library is already in the cloud. A new Apple user would find their music

uploaded to the cloud as part of the new music service. It's included in the $9.99/month fee. So lets

consider the ramifications should you ever cancel this service. Obviously there would be no more

streaming of iTunes library and any music downloaded for off-line would be lost due to the DRM

restrictions. After all, the service allows you rental rights to the music, not ownership. Also, any music

uploaded to the cloud as an Apple Music member. Your recourse to keeping that huge library you have

maintained for years lies within iTunes Match. While your an Apple Music member, it supercedes the

iTunes Match membership meaning if you download a song you already had, it will be DRM still since

that's part of the Apple Music platform. Keeping iTunes Match assures you full access to all your music

if ever Apple Music is cancelled on your behalf.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2015 8:48 PM in response to ChrisKDavis

The new Apple Music Service entitles you to a variety of features including full access to the iTunes

store and the ability to upload your existing music library into the cloud. If you are already a subscriber

to iTunes Match, your music library is already in the cloud. A new Apple user would find their music

uploaded to the cloud as part of the new music service. It's included in the $9.99/month fee. So lets

consider the ramifications should you ever cancel this service. Obviously there would be no more

streaming of iTunes library and any music downloaded for off-line would be lost due to the DRM

restrictions. After all, the service allows you rental rights to the music, not ownership. Also, any music

uploaded to the cloud as an Apple Music member. Your recourse to keeping that huge library you have

maintained for years lies within iTunes Match. While your an Apple Music member, it supercedes the

iTunes Match membership meaning if you download a song you already had, it will be DRM still since

that's part of the Apple Music platform. Keeping iTunes Match assures you full access to all your music

if ever Apple Music is cancelled on your behalf.

Jul 1, 2015 8:54 PM in response to Brskiz

Thanks for the response, Brskiz! I'm not sure this fully answers my question, though.

If I ever cancelled iTunes Match, I would still have my original audio files on my Mac, so that's not an issue for me.

What I'm wondering is if I need to pay for both iTunes Match and Apple Music, as it seems Apple Music is uploading my local files to the cloud in a similar fashion to iTunes Match. Or is that not the case?

The main reason I'm confused is because nowhere within my Apple Music-enabled iTunes can I find any references to iTunes Match (other than in two outdated help topics).

Jul 1, 2015 8:58 PM in response to ChrisKDavis

I failed to mention the refund aspect of your question. I see no reason there would be a refund

as iTunes Match is a separator service. All music downloaded from the Apple Music Service is

DRM protected meaning it disappears from the device when the subscription is cancelled. It's only

misleading in that as an Apple Music member, that membership takes precedent over iTunes Match.

That is until you ever cancel Apple Music. That's when iTunes Match is your primary service.

Jul 1, 2015 9:16 PM in response to Brskiz

One final question 🙂

If I've loaded an MP3 file into iTunes on computer #1 (which is signed into my iTunes Match + Apple Music-enabled Apple ID), and I then click the little cloud download icon next to a song in my iTunes library on computer #2 (signed into the same Apple ID), will computer #2 download the actual file (using the same process iTunes Match follows) or will it download an Apple Music AAC file instead?

I use iTunes Match to transfer lots of music files between computers, so if Apple Music's DRM files are going to take precedence over that process, I won't be using it.

Thanks for your assistance!

Jul 1, 2015 9:30 PM in response to ChrisKDavis

It would be nice if computer #2 would be more compliant to suit what your trying to

accomplish, but that Apple ID of your will take precedent and follow the same path as

Computer #1. Unless what I call, an inverse glitch, occurs in your favor thereby allowing

computer number #2 to operate independently. I understand exactly what your trying to

accomplish here; the Apple Music Service and associated Apple ID will be the problem.

If iTunes Match functioning independently has proven sufficient for your transfer needs, I

advise following the same path to be safe. However, you could always enjoy the Apple

Music Platform by using a device signed in with another Apple ID, independently. It's all about

your priorities: Exploring and streaming new music versus preservation of your existing library.

Jul 1, 2015 9:33 PM in response to Brskiz

Brskiz,

The OP was an Apple Music subscriber - what if someone is not an Apple Music subscriber - then does iTunes Match now = iCloud Music Library?

Because the description of iCloud Music Library makes it sound like it relates specifically to Apple Music while iTunes Match is quite different. Where do I enable iTunes Match now?

Thank you in advance.

Jul 2, 2015 5:02 AM in response to lauber1322

iTunes Match will never equal iCloud Music library. They are separate services that can be used together or independently.

It's merely terminology as Apple Moves forward with the new Apple Music service. To answer your question, if a person is NOT

Subscribed to Apple Music, then they must be using iTunes Match or they won't be involved with any music in iCloud. If you sign up

for Apple Music, that's the terminology used. I have iTunes Match so my device recognizes it just as that, iTunes Match. Should I decide

to try the Apple Music service, it may call it iCloud Music library. Same thing since your music is in the cloud either way. In my case, all

music was uploaded when I subscribed to iTunes Match back in 2012. The new Apple Music service also uploads your entire library into

the cloud as part of the service. Full streaming of the iTunes store is another part of that service. You also asked where to enable iTunes

Match. So can I assume your not involved with either service which may be why the name "iCloud Music Library" is misleading. In order to

enable iTunes Match, you must first subscribe. Best advice is if you have a large library and wish to keep it in tact, iTunes Match will help.

If your into streaming mass amounts of music, Apple Music is the best option. If you ever cancel the $9.99 Apple Music, your uploaded

Music will only be available if you have iTunes Match.

Jul 2, 2015 5:30 AM in response to Brskiz

Okay...

So I've been an iTunes Match user for a while. I subscribed to Apple Music Service (AMS) as a trial, so my iTunes Match account is in stasis being replaced by the iCloud Music Library (IML). Is that fair?

During the upcoming 3 months, I BUY (not stream, but buy) several albums that would normally be added to Match but are now added to IML. What happens to those purchased albums should I choose not to continue with AMS?

Jul 2, 2015 6:03 AM in response to Brskiz

Thanks for the reply Brskiz,

I've been an iTunes Match subscriber as well since launch in 2012 which is why it's perturbing that I don't see any mention of it anywhere and only see "iCloud Music Library". I don't recall seeing any mention of iTunes Match on my devices following release of iTunes 12.2/iOS 8.4 and prior to my signing up for the Apple Music free trial however either. Now that I've signed up for Apple Music I realize I am not interested in this service and was very happy with just iTunes Match. Is there any way to cancel/opt out of the Apple Music free trial so that I am again in the same boat as you with just iTunes Match? (and I mean cancel Apple Music entirely, not forgo auto-renewal at the end of the free term). The iTunes Match documentation from Apple has not been updated since the release of Apple Music. I just want to go back to how it was before.

Jul 2, 2015 6:52 AM in response to lauber1322

I do agree that 'iCloud Music Library' is creating confusion. I am a match customer, I don't like streaming so I have avoided Apple Music. I want tighter control. Anyway, this is the grey area, iCloud Music Library when you are not an apple music subscriber but still within an active match subscription must then = iTunes match. Otherwise how do you switch on match on the iOS device/iTunes or initiate a manual update of match within iTunes? There is, as pointed out, no reference to match across any of the iOS 8.4 devices or on iTunes 12.2.

Jul 2, 2015 7:58 PM in response to bearkite

Yes, for the interim iTunes Match is taking a secondary position and

you are now operating under the parameters of the new Apple Music

Service. So let's assume you buy music while using the new Apple

service. To be specific, Apple Purchases are not really in your iTunes

Match Cloud. It just looks that way. Purchases are always there for you

via your purchases. You just redownload them. How about any new

music you may upload, say a CD. This is different. These are uploaded

to your cloud the same way as before but when you download them,

that's different when using the new Apple Music. They will be DRM

protected. If you cancel the new service, you just redownload using

iTunes Match. I know, confusing, but keeping iTunes Match ensures

the ability to always go back to your old ways. Please note, the new

Apple Music offers cloud service too but it's intended to be a Rental

Music platform. Thus, streaming or downloading will always be done

differently as it's not designed to let you keep the music. Good luck.

Jul 2, 2015 8:15 PM in response to Scottyboy99

That is correct Scottyboy. It's just a change in terminology. I have a great example using

myself. I have two differerent Apple ID's. One is strictly for iTunes Match while the other

is sporting the new Apple Music on a separate device. So, my iTunes Match device only

references the new name "iCloud Music Library" in the Settings under Music. Under my

subscriptions in my account it still calling it iTunes Match. As long as your still subscribed

to iTunes Match, your devices should act the same. The new service uploads the music

libraries of those people who had no music in Apple Cloud. Ours was already there. But

the new Apple Music is really about streaming all the music you want, which is DRM

protected so you can't keep it. So try not to worry about the lack of reference to iTunes

Match. I hope this helps.

Jul 2, 2015 8:33 PM in response to lauber1322

Yes, no mention of iTunes Match is frustrating as I feel for those having to

figure all this out. As for the terminology, iCloud Music Library is the name

in settings under music. This means iTunes Match but only to those of us

who are subscribers. If you sign into you Apple Account and go to Subscriptions

it should still say iTunes Match. This is because you are still a subscriber to

that service set for auto annual renewal. The new Apple Music platform is meant

to be a streaming music rental service, not really a cloud even though they say

its included. But upon cancellation, the cloud is gone too unless you have iTunes

Match. The big question is trying to assist you in going back to how it was. I feel

for ya as you probably want to protect the music library that you worked so hard

on. There are some detailed ideas I have but may be difficult to explain. Whatever

happens, don't change your iTunes Match subscription at all but I figure your aware

of that by now. By doing nothing, you will be back to iTunes Match by itself after

this trial period ends. I advise only streaming from the new service. An "off-line"

downloads will be gone anyways as they are DRM protected.

Jul 3, 2015 3:54 AM in response to Brskiz

TThanks for that...

one final question... And this is more for confirmation.

AMS isn't going to work in an environment where you can't connect to the Apple Store. Right?

Am blocked from store access at my office. Have always synchronized purchases from my phone to computer to permenantly store new music on my work computer. This will no longer work, right? You must always have that connection to confirm account status to be able to play music downloaded from Apple Music Service.

AM starting to think that second account for AMS may be the answer.

Is iTunes Match now iCloud Music Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.