Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost Safari

How can I restore Safari to an older iPad running IOS 5.1.1? Grandson accidentally deleted Safari from iPad used for kids' games. Safari doesn't seem to be on my PC backup.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 8:52 PM

13 replies

Jul 1, 2015 9:50 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

I have looked at every group of Apps because Grandson managed to move apps all over the place. Cannot locate Safari anywhere - it of course was originally on the bottom of the window with Mail/Photos/Music which are, luckily, still there.

I couldn't even get a response when I clicked on your link - absolutely nothing happened so I believe Safari isn't on the iPad anymore.

Jul 1, 2015 10:17 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Now that approach I know!

However, NO RESULTS from the search. I truly think Safari is gone. Resetting home screen did nothing nor can I find it to download from the Apple Store. I will check my PC mobile backup drive to see if it contains a backup.

I do appreciate your help - this is a mystery to me. Decided never to leave an 11 year-old intent on playing Minecraft alone with this iPad. Cannot figure out what he did and don't think he knows, either.

Jul 1, 2015 10:22 PM in response to jlfcba

Safari is not available as a standalone download for iOS devices.

Hopefully you have backup to restore from.

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

If a backup doesn't work, restore to factory settings > Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

I have grandkids. I can totally relate 😉

Jul 1, 2015 10:31 PM in response to ckuan

That sounds like a possible cause. However, I can't get past the passcode restriction even though I don't use a password on this old iPad (so kids can use it). Have tried every 4-digit passcode I've used in other apps but none work. I don't have the "erase data after 10 failed attempts" set so hopefully won't lose everything.

Will get back at this tomorrow after grandson gets up - perhaps he knows what he did to get us to this point. Sure hope so!

Again, thank you!! Will do a bit of research on Thursday after taking him to aquatic center and otherwise keeping him occupied! Will keep you posted.

Jul 2, 2015 8:14 AM in response to ckuan

Thank You - Thank You - Thank You!!

Grandson had put a password on [restrictions] and had turned Safari off. He remembered the pw this morning and all is well again.

Don't ask me how these little minds work - he was traveling with Grandpa and couldn't get Minecraft to work so he decided to "troubleshoot". We had a little chat about what he can and can't do on the old iPad. This is why my newer iPad is off limits to the kids unless I'm right there.

Again, thanks so much!

Lost Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.