Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is converting my TV shows to music files

I recently upgraded my iMac to Mac OS 10.10.4 and iTunes 12.2 (v. 12.2.0.145). After I upgraded, I discovered that iTunes had converted some of my video files to music files. For instance, I own a few seasons of Mad Men. Today, I discovered that the first eight episodes of Season 4 of Mad Men have been re-tagged as "music files" - the video files for those episodes appear alongside audio-only songs in my Music library, and do not appear in the TV Shows section anymore. If you double-click on the file, it still plays video just like a TV show file would - it's just in the wrong section of iTunes (and, thus, get synced to my iOS devices incorrectly). Previous seasons and even other episodes within that season are unaffected. This has happened to part or all of at least four seasons of TV shows I've purchased, though I've only seen it affect TV shows - not movies. Anyone know how to fix this?

I don't seem to be able to change the media type within iTunes from "Music" to "TV Show" - when I Get Info on one of the converted files, the Media Kind menu only gives me other audio options (e.g., Podcast, Audiobook, etc.) to re-tag the file. So no help there.

I tried re-building the iTunes Library, but it seemed not to make any difference.

Since I'm dealing with content purchased through iTunes (and it's all backed up), I've also tried deleting some of the mis-labeled files intending to re-download them from the iTunes Store. In what may be a coincidence, when I look at my purchase history in the Store, there's a record of the fact that I bought this TV show, but at present, my purchase history is a blank white screen - no specific list of the episodes or even seasons that I bought. (It looks as if a big portion of the content of the iTunes Store wouldn't load for some reason.) I don't know whether this part of the problem began with the OS X and iTunes upgrades or not - I hadn't tried to re-download anything recently.

I assume these are bugs that Apple will get around to fixing sooner or later, but I thought I'd post here in case anyone else has had similar problems and found solutions. Thanks for any advice, and good luck to all who are experiencing upgrade growing pains. 😕

OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 12:17 AM

Update: I solved the purchase history problem by restarting the computer and iTunes a few times each. Once that was done, I was able to delete all the mysteriously converted TV show files - about 75 all told - and to re-download them from the iTunes Store. (Thank goodness for fiber optic connections and low network congestion.) Still no idea how TV shows got re-labeled as music files, but fortunately for me the purchase history method helped me sort it out. I suspect others may not be as lucky - if your content was converted and hadn't been purchased through iTunes, for instance. Anyhow, good luck all! 🙂

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 12:17 AM in response to Geoff Harriman

Update: I solved the purchase history problem by restarting the computer and iTunes a few times each. Once that was done, I was able to delete all the mysteriously converted TV show files - about 75 all told - and to re-download them from the iTunes Store. (Thank goodness for fiber optic connections and low network congestion.) Still no idea how TV shows got re-labeled as music files, but fortunately for me the purchase history method helped me sort it out. I suspect others may not be as lucky - if your content was converted and hadn't been purchased through iTunes, for instance. Anyhow, good luck all! 🙂

iTunes is converting my TV shows to music files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.