Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Driver for HP Officejet 5740 for MacBook Air with OS X 10.7.5

I am looking to install print and scan driver for Driver for HP Officejet 5740 series on a MacBook Air with OS X 10.7.5.

HP say it is only available from Apple each time I try and refers me to Apple.

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 10:17 PM

I found a driver available at the HP website for OS X 10.7.

Go here > HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Support

Then click Edit to the right of Version then select v10.7 from the drop down menu.

6 replies

Jul 1, 2015 10:18 PM in response to RobertMScott

The driver is here:

HP Printer Drivers v3.1 for OS X

The above is valid for OS X 10.7 (Lion) and later.

... but if you turn the printer on and it's on the same WiFi network as your Mac, your Mac should discover it and find and load the drivers:

You say you are running OS X 10.7 (Lion), which is now three years old. I couldn't find instructions for a system that old, but here are the Mountain Lion (2 years old) instructions:

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a printer

Jul 2, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Dear Carolyn, Thank you for your swift response. However when I went through the procedure it repeated responds :

The selected printer software is available from Apple. Click Add to download it and add this printer.

Having pressed Add Printer it goes through a seemingly optimistic procedure only to finally respond with

Setting up HP OfficeJet 5740 series [D4967B

The software for this printer is currently unavailable.

Please contact the printer's manufacturer for the latest software.

However I know it must be available as I have seen it on an Apple list as 3.3.2 for the OfficeJet 5740 [ P & S ]

and 5.1.7.1 for the Allin one Fax [ F ]

It would seem that the software has to initiate from Apple and not HP. All very frustrating and I have spent hours and hours without success, but thank you for trying. Regards Robert Scott

Jul 2, 2015 11:08 AM in response to sberman

Thanks also for your quick response.

The printer is on the same network but it did not pick it up. I also noted that one must do this within an hour of switching on the printer but no luck. My Apple iMac has joined successfully and I have switched on sharing, however I have not been successful in down loading the driver for my MacBook Air.

It seems to take hours to download which cannot be right.

Anyway I will have a few more attempts. The iPad can also see the printer and can print.

Thanks again for your response, but I really don't know how to solve it. Regards, Robert Scott

Driver for HP Officejet 5740 for MacBook Air with OS X 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.