Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long might reinstalling os x yosemite take? I am doing a factory restore and have had the grey screen 'setting up your mac' for 36 hours. I have a slow internet connection, maybe 15 megs.

I was thinking of selling my mac and so have begun a restore factory settings following the onscreen prompts. I have got as far as trying to reinstall os x through my internet connection. I have now had the grey 'setting up your mac' screen for 36 hours. I know I have a slow internet connection, basic package of maybe 10 megs. I don't know whether to let it carry on as is, or power off. Advice, please, but I am not very tech savvy.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), iOS 8.4, Downloading latest version

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 12:07 AM

6 replies

Jul 2, 2015 12:30 AM in response to Renoufphillipsjohn

It sounds like to me to be more than your internet connection. And a 2011 iMac should come with an install DVD Lion OS X . The internet connection is for security and OS upgrades for this year Mac. I am running about 16 megs also Yosemite installed in 35 mins. But ATT does suck. Going back to Comcast very soon.

Apple does not have Lion Available for download anymore my have to go to alternative site for DWLD.

2012 Macbook Pro 2.6GHZ 8GB RAM 750 HHD.

How long might reinstalling os x yosemite take? I am doing a factory restore and have had the grey screen 'setting up your mac' for 36 hours. I have a slow internet connection, maybe 15 megs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.