Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi problem remains after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10.4

My MacBook Pro 2010 Mid still has extremely slow WiFi, just like 10.10.3, even after upgrading to 10.10.4.

I created a new location for Networking settings following others instructions, but no luck.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:32 PM

15 replies

Jul 2, 2015 12:29 AM in response to IOTATe

Change the Channel on your Router from the default of 6 which most come with to 10 or 11 and it will help I am sure. You see if you live in a high traffic area and there are several users are on channel 6 then this can slow you down but if you change the channel you will not be competing with all of those on that channel.

Cheers and Good Luck

Don Morgan

Jul 2, 2015 7:51 AM in response to IOTATe

There are many possible causes for problems with web browsing. Below are some simple steps that may either solve the problem or point the way to a solution.

Back up all data before making any changes.

1. Restart your router and also your broadband device, if they're separate.

2. If you connect to the the router with Wi-Fi, turn Wi-Fi off and then back on.

3. If you connect with Wi-Fi and you can also connect with Ethernet, do that and turn off Wi-Fi.

4. If your browser is Safari, then from the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. If the Downloads button (with the icon of a downward-pointing arrow) is showing in the toolbar, click it and then click Clear in the box that appears. The download history will be removed.

5. Select the Extensions tab in the Preferences window. Turn all extensions OFF and test. If there's an improvement, turn extensions back ON and then disable them one or a few at a time until you find the culprit.

6. If you're running OS X 10.10 or later, select the Search tab. Uncheck the box marked

Enable Quick Website Search

if it's checked.

7. If you're running OS X 10.9 or later, select the Advanced tab and uncheck the box marked

Stop plug-ins to save power

Quit and relaunch the browser.

8. Enable guest logins* and log in as Guest. Don't use the Safari-only “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac.”

While logged in as Guest, you won’t have access to any of your documents or settings. Applications will behave as if you were running them for the first time. Don’t be alarmed by this behavior; it’s normal. If you need any passwords or other personal data in order to complete the test, memorize, print, or write them down before you begin.

Test while logged in as Guest.

After testing, log out of the guest account and, in your own account, disable it if you wish. Any files you created in the guest account will be deleted automatically when you log out of it.

*Note: If you’ve activated “Find My Mac” or FileVault, then you can’t enable the Guest account. The “Guest User” login created by “Find My Mac” is not the same. Create a new account in which to test, and delete it, including its home folder, after testing.

9. Are any other web browsers installed, and are they the same? What about other Internet applications, such as iTunes and the App Store?

10. If other browsers and Internet applications are also affected, follow these instructions and test.

11. If Parental Controls is active for any user, please turn it off and test.

12. Open the iCloud preference pane and uncheck the boxes marked Safari and Photos, if they're checked.

13. Are there any other devices on the same network that can browse the Web, and if so, are they affected?

14. If you can, test Safari on another network.

15. Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

After testing, restart as usual.

Jul 2, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

All of my wifi issues started happening after the 10.10.4 update. When it starts to act up, my MBP drops off of my wireless network and can no longer see the other 10-15 networks around my neighborhood as it usually does. Now it can only see my home network SSID and the Xfinitywifi SSID that also comes off of my wireless router. It is almost like the power on the wifi card gets turned down to 10% or so.

I also noticed that when I tried using screen share the other day EVERY time I try to connect via VNC to my MBP after setting everything up. When I would enter the password into VNC on the other machine the wireless icon would flash on my MBP and then it would disconnect from the wireless network. The only way to get it back onto ANY wireless network is to either log out and back in or reboot my MBP. So right now I have a $100 tablet that is more reliable than my $2200 MBP........ What is going on Apple?!?!?

Jul 2, 2015 9:04 PM in response to Englebert Slaptyback

Now I just did some crude testing but I noticed that when I would plug in my USB 3.0 hub, 1TB Seagate backup drive, my iPhone 4s and iPhone 6 plus to the USB ports of my MBP it would not drop off of the wifi BUT it would stop working on the network for some odd reason. The MBP is plugged into power and I was running a constant ping to my default gateway of 192.168.0.1. As SOON as I plugged in the USB devices it stopped pinging the gateway and of course Safari, Chrome nor Firefox would NOT pull up a page. As soon as I disconnected everything from the USB ports the ping to the gateway would reply again and the browsers could get to sites. Maybe some sort of power allocation issue in the 10.10.4 update?

Jul 2, 2015 11:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for the detailed troubleshooting steps.

I've done some tests myself before I came to this forum including those you mentioned, but most of them didn't work for me.

Here are the methods that didn't work for me:

• Restarting my Mac
  • Resetting System Management Controller (SMC) by pressing the keys Shift + Option + Power button

• Restarting wireless router and broadband modem
  • Changing the channel setting of my wireless router
  • Changing the broadcasting frequency setting of my wireless router

• Switching the WiFi off and switching it back on by clicking the WiFi icon in the menu bar
  • Deleting and joining my WiFi network again in the Network Preferences
  • Enabling and disabling WiFi network proxies
  • Manually setting the DNS server or letting OS X obtaining the DNS server IP automatically

• Joining in my neighbor's WiFi network
  • Joining in my cellphone's hotspot

• Using difference web browsers, like Safari, Firefox and Chrome, and all of them are the latest versions
  • Accessing websites via IP address or domains
  • Accessing a webpage via a web browser or a CLI tool, such as cURL, wget, axel

• Clearing Safari's web history
  • Clearing Safari's website data
  • Disabling all the Safari extensions
  • Unchecking the "Enable Quick Website Search" option in the Safari Preferences

Creating a new Firefox profile and using that new profile to surf the internet

• Clearing Chrome's Browser Data
  • Disabling all Chrome extensions
  • Resetting Chrome settings

• Creating a Standard user account of Mac OS X and using that user account to log in the system
  • Enabling the predefined guest account and using that user account to access the internet

• Disabling Parent Control
  • Disabling iCloud photo stream in Photos Preferences
  • Unchecking Safari and Photos in the iCloud Preferences

Booting to the Recovery mode and accessing websites via the fresh and clean Safari in the Recovery mode

In the circumstances below, my WiFi have no problem:

• Using a PC joining to the same WiFi network
  • Using a mobile phone joining to the same WiFi network
  • Booting to the Windows 7 which is installed on the same MacBook Pro and joins to the same WiFi network
  • Connecting to the internet via an Ethernet cable and accessing the internet in Mac OS X 10.10.4

All these tests listed above are my attempts to solve the annoying WiFi problem occurred from 10.10.1 to 10.10.4. Every time Apple releases an update for Yosemite, I hope they can truly solve the problem as advertised, but every time I am disappointed about it.

Jul 3, 2015 6:44 AM in response to IOTATe

Hold down the option key and select the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar. What values are shown for the following?

PHY Mode

Channel

Security

Signal/Noise or RSSI

Transmit (or Tx) Rate

Please do not post the BSSID, as that information is private.

Now hold down the option key again and select

 ▹ System Information... ▹ Network ▹ Wi-Fi

Compare the two-letter Country Code with the ISO code for your country. Does it match? The code X0 means that the country couldn't be determined. The code X3 means South America, not otherwise specified.

Jul 3, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Linc Davis

The key-value pairs showed in the WiFi menu are following:

• PHY Mode: 802.11n
  • Channel: 6 (2.4 GHz, 20MHz)
  • Security: WPA2 Personal
  • RSSI: -57 dBm
  • Tx Rate: 117 Mbps

The Country Code value showed in the Wi-Fi menu and the System Information window exactly match with each other.

I also performed a Wireless Diagnostics which told me "Lan Connectivity Failure -- You are connected to a Wi-Fi network that cannot communicate with your wireless router. Try restarting your wireless router, and if that doesn't work contact AppleCare customer support for further assistance." This diagnostic result gave me useless clue since restarting the wireless router was my first attempt when this issue occurred.

I also followed all the "best practices" listed in the diagnostics result window, such as setting Wi-Fi network a unique name, not using a hidden network name, using WPA2 Personal security, using a strong password, setting the router to use 5GHz radio band, and setting the router to use an "automatic" channel. These practices may be "best" but cannot speed up my Wi-Fi.

Jul 4, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your advice.

I tried let the router only do 5 GHz, but nothing improved.

Seems like I have a defective router. If so, why there was no problem at all when my MBP running OS X 10.9 or 10.6 and why my other devices -- PC laptops, mobile phones -- have never been in any trouble? They are all connecting to the same Wi-Fi network created by the same wireless router.

Jul 25, 2015 1:45 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi;

Been trying to figure out my constant drops after the 10.10.4 update. All was good prior to that. This is a brand new MBP. Per your instruction, here is the information that I see:

PHY Mode: 802.11n

Channel: 6 (2.4GHz, 20 Mhz)

Security: WPA2 Personal

Signal/Noise or RSSI: -37 dBm

Transmit (or Tx) Rate: 217 Mbps

I did check my country code, and it's showing up as X0. So not sure where to go from here. Are there certain clues in this information as to what is going on? Appreciate the information.

thanks;

J.

Wifi problem remains after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.