Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage vs iCloud Music Storage.

This is a multi-part question.

1. Pricing states that Apple Music allows access to all Apple music for $9.99 monthly:

1. Does this give me download rights to music I listen to via Apple Music?
  2. Am I still required to purchase the songs/albums for download rights?

2. iCloud storage comes with Apple Music as part of the fee of $9.99. Since I already have the Apple 1TB storage plan at $19.99 monthly does that mean:

1. I will be refunded $10.00 monthly?
  2. Will my overall iCloud storage plan pricing change to $9.99 monthly vs the $19.99?
  3. Will I be billed separately for both?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2015 11:49 PM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 12:05 AM in response to M00kie

1. Pricing states that Apple Music allows access to all Apple music for $9.99 monthly:

1. Does this give me download rights to music I listen to via Apple Music?
  2. Am I still required to purchase the songs/albums for download rights?

1.1 It's basically a streaming service, but you can download music to listen to online on that device. You can't move the songs to another device, burn them to a CD, etc. If you stop your subscription you lose access to the items. You are renting them, not buying them.

1.2 If you want to be able to keep the songs permanently, burn them to CDs, or transfer them to your iPod you will have to purchase them as you did before.

2. iCloud storage comes with Apple Music as part of the fee of $9.99. Since I already have the Apple 1TB storage plan at $19.99 monthly does that mean:

1. I will be refunded $10.00 monthly?
  2. Will my overall iCloud storage plan pricing change to $9.99 monthly vs the $19.99?
  3. Will I be billed separately for both?

'iCould storage comes with Apple music....' - where did you get that idea? Apple's documentation is far from helpful, but nothing I've seen suggests that Apple Music - a fee payed for unlimited rental of songs - has anything at all to do with iCloud storage which is for your documents and synced data such as calendars and contacts. So, 1. No; 2. No; 3. Yes. (unless you can find a Help document which suggests otherwise).

Jul 2, 2015 12:29 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

I use iTunes Match which stores up to 25,000 songs. As most are my songs are DJ compilations not for sale but is music made & now stored in iTunes Match, along with purchased music it's stored and used as part of my iCloud storage space.

The current Apple Music (no subscriptions, just installed prior to this post), currently list all my Uploaded & Matched songs along with all my other radio channels, playlist, & Artist. This is why the question was posed as I already see my music listed.

IF Apple music is just a streaming only service which duplicates iTunes Music matching then no need to worry as I'll not be using it.

Jul 2, 2015 12:55 AM in response to M00kie

Your DJ compilations, which are recordings not available in the iTunes Store, have been uploaded to iTunes Match as part of the 25,000 songs it can store (purchased items do not count towards this as they are already in the Store). This storage is not part of your iCloud storage space.

Apple Music makes a large proportion of the songs in the iTunes Store available for streaming and downloading for online listening on that device. Songs you have purchased will be included in this. Your DJ mixes will not be included in this.

iTunes Match provides only songs you have bought from iTunes or brought into your iTunes application from other sources.

Apple Music provides all songs in its library but does not include items not in its library.

iCloud storage vs iCloud Music Storage.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.