Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4 update frozen/not working

Hello there, everyone. I have an iPad 4th Gen and I tried to update it to iOS 8.4 - It starts up to the white loading screen, and the bar gets half way and then it crashes and starts all over again. I held the power/home button to reset, then it brings me to a "slide to update" screen, which I slide and enter my passcode, and then it repeats the above.

Any help would be appreciated - I tried the support chat but it keeps wanting a serial number, which I cannot access, as my iPad is about as useful as a brick at the moment.

iPad 4th Gen-OTHER, iOS 8.4, Bricked, Frozen, Buggered.

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 1:07 AM

4 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:04 AM in response to MichaelNorthWoods

More detail. during the procsss, I get an "Update is complete" screen (wording might not be precise). Then after going through setup screens (Apple ID, wireless settings, thumbprint ID, Apple Pay) I get a Start using you iPad screen, swipe on that, home screen shows for less than a second, and reboots.

IM not using VPN, so similar posts where that was the cause don't apply.

I am using WhatsApp (battery usage monitor), I suspect that a little

jJust installed yesterday so it should be the release version. Updated without iTunes.

Jul 5, 2015 7:32 AM in response to Charlie0604

I Was able to get iTunes to make a backup (after several restarts and glitches getting the Aplle Mobile device driver to install right) once on the Update Completed screen. But it turns out later that it wasn't good because it just ended up reproducing my problem. And my next newest backup was too old to be worthwhile.

I was successful using the recover mode you mentioned, but the Update didn't work for me, I had to reset to factory defaults (the "restore" option from the first screen), and then decline to restore a backup once that was done, opting to "set it up as a new iPad" (or whatever the exact verbiage was).

I Had contacts and some other stuff in the cloud which got several things back, but had to reload apps, music, etc manually. But running 8.4 OK now.

It think I'll wait for 8.4.1 before updating my iPhines. Or have a really good backup done first (which in hindsight I should have known better than to skip that step).

I Updated from (I think) 8.1. That might have contributed to the problem.

iOS 8.4 update frozen/not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.