Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Last import not showing in events, and can't cut and paste.

I imported photos a few days ago, but iPhoto did not put them into events. I can only see the photos by going to last import. I tried cutting/copying and pasting into events, and iPhoto won't let me do that. I can cut and paste from any other events, but not from my last import. I've shut down iPhoto, but haven't been able to get it to work. I haven't made any changes recently to my system. Any ideas?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 5:42 AM

If the Photos are under 'Last Import' or 'Last N Months' then they are in the Library somewhere, just not where you are expecting them to be. We know this as both Last Import and 'Last N Months' are not places, just listings of elements in the the Library (and that's why you can't Cut them from there).

The two most common reasons that they can't be found is either an incorrect date on the camera or the Sorting (View Menu -> Sort Photos - or Sort Events, as appropriate) has changed.

Quick route to find them: Right-click on one of the images in Last Import and select 'Show Event'. This will bring you to the image in the Library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2015 5:42 AM in response to tulland

If the Photos are under 'Last Import' or 'Last N Months' then they are in the Library somewhere, just not where you are expecting them to be. We know this as both Last Import and 'Last N Months' are not places, just listings of elements in the the Library (and that's why you can't Cut them from there).

The two most common reasons that they can't be found is either an incorrect date on the camera or the Sorting (View Menu -> Sort Photos - or Sort Events, as appropriate) has changed.

Quick route to find them: Right-click on one of the images in Last Import and select 'Show Event'. This will bring you to the image in the Library.

Jul 2, 2015 5:45 AM in response to tulland

The new Photos.app does not support events like Photo did. There are no events in Photos, only moments, collections, albums,smart albums.

Photos organises the photos automatically into moments, based on the location and the capture time.

The "iPhoto Events" folder you are seeing in Photos is a fake. Photos created an album for each of your old events. You can keep this up, if you want and create a new album for each import of new photos and drag this album to the iPhoto Events folder. Or create new folders and albums for your new imports. There are only albums and smart albums, so it is up to you, how you want to structure the library.

And you cannot copy and paste into albums. To add to an album drag the photo to the album in the sidebar.

Jul 2, 2015 10:02 AM in response to tulland

Moments in the new Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there is a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

Note: photos imported from emails by Control (right) - clicking on the image and selecting Import to Photos

User uploaded file

go directly into the library, appear at the bottom of the All Photos album/window and do not show up in the Last Import smart album.

User uploaded file

Last import not showing in events, and can't cut and paste.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.