Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've installed a Crucial SSD but can't start-up properly

Hello All

I have a late 2009 27inch intel iMac

I've installed a crucial MX100 - 128GB SSD.

I've reformatted the drive and installed Yosemite from new, bt when I start-up I get nothing but a grey screen...

If I do a safe boot, it starts-up fine... Just very slow.

what Am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Richard

27" iMac core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 3:41 AM

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 4:28 PM in response to Richard Dobell

Humm... If you can see the drive and run Disk Utility on it while started up from your Install DVD or from OS X on an External Hard Drive, then it should work providing that you have correctly formatted and installed OS X.

1. Startup from your Install DVD or OS X on another drive and open Disk Utility.

2. Highlight the new SSD in the list of drives and select the Partition tab.

3. Under Volume Scheme select 1 Partition and click on the Options... button.

4. Select GUID Partition Table in the drop down window and click OK.

5. Set the Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), name it and click the Apply button.

6. Once that is done, Install OS X and/or Restore from the OS X that is on your External Hard Drive.

Another option is to place the SSD into a External Enclosure and follow the same steps above. Startup from and test the SSD in the External Enclosure, then reinstall the SSD into the iMac.

I've installed a Crucial SSD but can't start-up properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.