Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best external DVD burner for MBP with optiacal drive out

'm looking for an external burner that will write AND read on a Macbook Pro 13in that has had it's original optical drive removed. I've found a few that will write, but they will not read. Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:23 AM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:46 AM in response to jasoneayers25

There’s nothing special about an optical drive - any USB or FireWire optical drive should work. In fact, the drive I’m currently using at home is an old one I pulled from a PC and threw into an enclosure I had lying around the house. If you aren’t able to read discs, I’d be suspicious of the disks, not the drive.

Jul 2, 2015 8:34 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks dwb and OGELTHORPE.

Interesting. The one I currently I have is a an LG slim portable writer.

Again, it writes but just doesn't read (or doesn't read correctly, to be more specific).

When inserting a disc to read, I can see the icon appear on the desktop and I can access the file structure. But when trying to play it using the Apple DVD player software, it gives me the error "A valid DVD drive could not be found. [-70012]

The drive is connected to a 2013 13in MBP that has had it's factory optical drive removed and replaced with a second hard drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Best external DVD burner for MBP with optiacal drive out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.