Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word 2011 lagging

Hello,

I got a brand new MacBook Air (with 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR) just to write my master thesis. It is a bit disappointing that Word 2011 is lagging on the following occasions:

• Scrolling
  • Kicking with the cursor on a spot I have to wait for the blinking "I" to appear.
  • Using backspace
  • Auto-corrections
  • Sometimes words aren't written at all once I type and then appear suddenly very fast.

It's usually only a second but still I was wondering if this is normal or if I should go to the Apple Store.

P.S. I also use Endnote while writing.

Thanks for advice.

T.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), null

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 4:26 AM

1 reply

Jul 2, 2015 9:04 AM in response to timkolin

Your MBA is faster than my 2011 model so your experience with Office should be better than mine. I tend to run quite a few programs and once and I'll see an occasional scrolling lag and if I'm on a tear I can sometimes type faster than Word can keep up but neither of these is typical behavior. If your computer is brand new and you've just started using it its possible that the operating system is still indexing search or that the search (Spotlight) index is corrupt and mdworker is taking a lot CPU cycles.

If the computer is very new give Spotlight a chance to finish. If after 24-36 hours the computer is still lagging let us know. If it isn't that new do two things: 1) with Word running, run Activity Monitor, select the CPU tab, and click on the %CPU header so that the running processes are sorted highest to lowest. Let us know if any of the processes are constantly running at 20% or higher. 2) download EtreCheck and paste the results here. Its possible you have something running that's causing the slowdown.

Word 2011 lagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.