Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iTunes upgrade really necessary?

If I don't plan to use Apple's streaming service, is there a downside to NOT upgrading iTunes on my iMac and iPhone? So many recent updates have been disappointing (Photos, the location bug in Calendar, some previous iTunes glitches) that I'd rather avoid the hassle if I can.

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:13 AM

5 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:19 AM in response to BPpark

Apart from using the new Music service I haven't seen mention of any advantages. There's probably the usual bug fixes but then there also seem to be a whole host of new ones. I would let the early starters do the testing first and then wait for another release or two before backing up your computer and trying any new version. 😉 Mind you this is somebody speaking who still runs iTunes 7.5 (yes, from 8 years ago) and has yet to see anything introduced that really makes me want to upgrade. 😁

Jul 2, 2015 9:01 PM in response to BPpark

A lot of this depends upon how you respond to upgrades/updates. Yes, if you buy a new iPhone you will have to update iTunes because the issue will be forced by Apple in the phone's software. Yes, if you upgrade the iOS in the phone you may have to also update iTunes. You have to be very aware of the implications of doing one update or purchase of newer hardware on how it will resonate with the rest of your system unless you behave as Apple would intend for you to behave and never have any one thing in your system be any older than about 4 years. Even having an iTunes account may eventually result in your being forced to update your iTunes which may need a newer operating system version which will mandate newer hardware leading to a newer computer purchase... Me, I live in a time bubble. I run 8 year old software on a 12 year old computer. I decided to stick with iTunes 7.5 because I don't buy any Apple i-gadgets and don't have a Store account and I don't see anything in newer iTunes versions I like. 😉 I save a lot of money! 😁 (I figure I have spent about $700 on computer stuff since 2006, and that's including peripherals.)

Jul 4, 2015 2:25 PM in response to Limnos

What you're doing is difficult, but understandable. When I gave up on Windows and got an iMac in 2009 (which is still my main computer), I dutifully downloaded every upgrade, and I did the same with iOS devices until recently. Now it seems that most Apple "upgrades" take away features I like and add feature I don't want, while introducing bugs and annoyances. I regret having upgraded to Yosemite and now I'm doubly suspicious of every "improvement."

Is iTunes upgrade really necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.