Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not seeing View Only Music Stored on iPad

I Thought that I was getting the hang of the new Music app in iOS 8.4, but apparently I am mistaken. According to the user guide, if I want to see only music stored on my iPad, tap the sorting menu then turn on Music Available Offline. I do not see that in my sorting menu.

What am I missing?

User uploaded file

View only music stored on iPad. Tap My Music, tap the sorting menu, then turn on Music Available Offline.

I Have not updated my profile, but I am running iOS 8.4.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3, 64GB Space Gray

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:11 AM

Like this ?

User uploaded file

25 replies

Jul 2, 2015 7:42 AM in response to bobseufert

You are a user guide person. This is a screenshot of the online iPad user guide. If it states anywhere on this page that you have to hav Apple Music turned on in order to see View Only Music Stored on iPad, I don't see it.

I Do suspect that one has to be using Apple music in order to see that. As usual, the Crapple Apple instructions are as clear as mud, IMHO.

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

I Do suspect that one has to be using Apple music in order to see that.

I seldom use music on my devices and I was not planning on using Apple Music either. Thanks for the info...now at least I won't be smacking my head on the wall trying to figure out why my stored music on the iPad is not showing. 😐

Jul 2, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Demo

After a good night sleep I have to agree with you. Apple Music has a feature where you can download music and listen to it later off-line. I have to think that's the reason for My Mysic. Before you ask you don't get to keep the downloaded Music after if you cancel Apple Music.

The only reason I signed up was to see if I could do it without a credit card and was able to. I choose none as payment method when setting up my iPad. I think the only reason I could sign up is I have credit on my iTunes account.

Jul 2, 2015 3:53 PM in response to bobseufert

I Have done a little more research while you were catching some zzzz's. I know that the music goes bye-bye if you cancel the membership. That makes perfect sense or nobody would ever buy music again through iTunes. Apple would be cutting off their collective noses to spite their faces. Not only that, they would be abandoning a revenue stream that really put them on the map and helped make them the most valuable company in the world.

SInce you were so steadfast in trying to help, you get the trio,e whammy. Two Helpfuls and the Solved!

Jul 2, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Demo

Aloha Demo.

Thank you. Doing a little more looking the page below looks a lot like IOS 8.3, but I'm not sure. It appears the music streams from the cloud unless you choose to have it on your iPad. I wish I had the two versions side by side. Then it's easier to compare features and see what turned into what.

Stay well. Bob.

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Demo

A question, Demo or Bob; I know that you need to turn on Apple Music so the your on-device music shows...but what happens if you've done that and then turn off Apple Music? Does your on-device music vanish again? In other words, is it a requirement to have Apple Music on to access your on-device music or can it be turned off after you've made your on-device music visible?

I currently have no music on any of my devices so if one of you would be so kind as to check this for me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Jul 2, 2015 5:49 PM in response to SergZak

I Can see my on device music without having Show Apple Music enabled. That has nothing to do with the music that resides on the iPad. What it will do if you turn it off is remove the For You and Connect tabs from the bottom of the Music App. Those are two options that you need for Apple Music. You don't need them for your own on device music.

I have said this in a couple of discussions. Apple sort of screwed the pooch on this one. Talk about non intuitive. The music app needs its own extensive user guide just to figure out where everything is and how to use all of the features. It shouldn't be this complicated - In my humble and totally worthless opinion.

Not seeing View Only Music Stored on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.